Friday, March 28, 2003

Polly visits Barcelona

My [Mike's] mum Polly spent a few days in Barcelona in March 2003, when she visited Toby and us in London. Here are her experiences, from an email to my Dad and stills from her vlog with quotes from her commentary. Anything not in italics is her words.

It's fascinating seeing a place like this through somebody else's eyes.

Dear Ron,

Here I am back from Barcelona.  In fact I really didn't visit Spain as the city is Catalonian and has a different 'culture'.  Also it's a large city of a million and half people.  It was quite an experience not being able to communicate, as English was only spoken a little and then with an almost incomprehensible accent.  I found the Barcelonians to be proud to the point of arrogance.  The shop assistants had no smiles and impatient with silly old Women tourists like me.  Actually there were no smiling going on.  I've had a hint from the little history I've glenned and perhaps when I read more shall be more enlighted as to why they are so serious.  However I suppose it was because for the first time in my life I felt not able to empathize.  No language - no interplay.  My accommodation was excellent as it was right in the middle of the old and picturesque part of the city. My main impression of Barcelona apart from its people was of the architecture - old and modern - and of the frenetic hustle and bustle.

I'm quite tired - as usual - as the plane arrived into Heathrow at 10-30pm and by the time we took 2 undergrounds and 1 bus stepped inside the flat at midnight.  The original plan was for me to get myself back but when Mike realized that I'd be hanging around Brixton for a bus late at night - not a good idea - came and met me.  Apparently he has a dead line to meet this weekend so it worked out ok that he stayed at work late. I'm looking forward to see the sharp horizon and the bright clear light.  The haze is almost claustrophobic.

Well I have lots to tell you and really wanting to come home and see you and hope that all's well.  Wee Toby is a pet which you will see for yourself on video.

Lots of love,  Polly xxxx

La Sagrada Família
What a peculiar looking thing. Quite grotesque.

On one side you have this ...

.. and on the other - THAT.
[I don't think Polly appreciates large newer apartment buildings]

A bit of exotic flora!

It's like a canyon of buildings

A typical Barceloona road, with its high rises.
Not a place I'd like to live! Listen to all the traffic.

How'd you like to go to work with all that traffic?
What a commotion. I'll be glad to be home.

Güell Pavillions
Here is some more of this grotesque architecture.
Quite peculiar.

Plaça Catalunya - sculpture to francesc macia
Peculiar and absolutely stunning sculpture.
This is just one piece, they're all over the place and their proportions are just right.
Very exciting.
Polly came back here and spent quite some time admiring the stunning statuary
and stolid and mixed buildings around it.

Frieze in the Gothic Barcelona Cathedral
Grotesque. Voluptuous. Almost pagan.

Gothic Barcelona Cathedral - Cloister
Opposite a beautiful garden, we have these sanctuaries.
It really is quite ... tasteless.
It's a beautiful statue I suppose - not too kitsch.

Placa de Sant Jaume
I've shifted to the side because I nearly got run over by a police car!
Here we have a group of protesters against the [Iraq] war.
They became violent yesterday. Not very nice at all.
[Polly was in the Rialto hotel opposite here and on the edge of the Gothic Quarter]

What a filthy mess they've made!
I suppose that's what they're like.
[Somewhat brave to speak loudly at a violent protest group while filming them!]


Placa Del Rei
Selfie in glass

La Rambla Market.
Beautiful market stalls. Really lovely.

Looking down La Rambla
Absolutely chocka with people. People everywhere.


Crowds, noise, traffic!
Everyone hustling and bustling.










No comments:

Post a Comment