Thursday, June 23, 2011

Everything changes for us

Whew!  After posting nearly every day for what seems like years, you've heard nothing from Angela or from me for nearly a month!  What's going on?

Well, it really has been all change.  In the last month we have
  • Had a holiday in Northland as part of a medical trial (long story, more later)
  • And another one to Gold Coast for Mike's Midlife Crisis
  • Angela has thrown her job in at NZ Trade and Enterprise and has just started at Intergen, who are a large-for-NZ Microsoft services vendor
  • Mike has also just thrown his job in at NZ Trade and Enterprise and in 5 weeks or so will start work at Intergen, who are a large-for-NZ Microsoft services vendor
  • We still have an ongoing shambles at our house.  We're all sleeping in one room that is barely habitable, another room is partially emptied and partially painted, a third room is partially furnished and partially a store room.  
But anyway.  We'll write more later on about all of that.  I know that what you REALLY want to hear about is all the minutiae about how my morning went.

And, it was disorganised but successful.  Toby slept very late - he is still on Queensland time and my theory at the moment is that for him, sleep is good, so I'm not really pushing him to wake up in the mornings.  But he got himself ready nice and quick, so we were only moderately late heading out.  He was very good this morning, helping out with stuff and remembering all the things we normally need to prompt him for.  Like his school bag (probably since we got halfway to school yesterday without it!!) and his lunch order envelope.

The weather looked cold, overcast but alright, so I put my bike gear on.  Only to find that by the time we left, it was gusting a bitter cold wind with drizzle.  Oh dear!  "Right, I'm taking the bus," I said.  But Toby did his job and talked me out of it. "You're in your bike gear already Dad, there's no point.  You'll be quicker on your bike," he said.  And the logic was inescapable.  (Did I mention that I pay him to lobby me to ride my bike?!  Half my bus fare if I ride instead). 

And it was a good ride in anyway.  Don't know what it is about riding, but you don't really feel the rain like you do when you're, say, walking.  I took it easy down the hill but apart from that all was good.

After Cubs on Tuesday and Karate yesterday, today and this evening were panning out to be a bit more relaxed - a bit of tidying, a bit of recharging and preparing.  But that was before the call from the carpet layer - they're coming to fix the carpet in that partially-emptied-partially-painted room tomorrow, which means that it needs to be a totally emptied room by the time we go to bed tonight!  Oh well...

No comments:

Post a Comment