Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The long weekend for Auckland... and me!

Hi,

What a weekend. I had a bad day on Friday that started in the morning with a truck driver trying to cut me off on the way into work and deteriorated into stupid software errors that made me want to cry (or laugh - I am still deciding which). I rode home and collected Toby and just after we got home from school I noticed my handbag had fallen out of my bike pannier somewhere along the way. We hurtled back, and Toby ran. But the handbag was gone. Gone!

Misery was my company for the next few hours while I contemplated life without the contents of my handbag, some things which I have had for 25 years. My boys tried to comfort me, and I have a wonderful card from Toby that I will keep.

Next morning I was resigned to my fate and rooted out another handbag I have never used but bought at the same time as my old faithful one. Credit card was cancelled and I put my phone (the only survivor from the loss as it was home charging) in the bottom.

We went to collect Jack for a sleepover early Saturday afternoon and got caught in a massive (for Wellington) traffic jam on the motorway north. It took us the best part of an hour to cover the 10km from Johnsonville to Porirua - with the engine switched off most of the time. Never mind. We'd get there eventually.

And "there" was Waikanae and a terrific BBQ at the Tabor household. How nice to see Jackie over from Hawaii. We stayed far too late, but Jack and Toby chatted all the way home despite the late hour. I have another handful of books to read from Aidan and even an electronic lending to my Kindle. Wow!
As we walked over the threshold I picked up a note someone had left under the door asking if Ms A Gilbert could get in touch.  It was 10.45pm, so I couldn't ring, but I immediately thought about my handbag.  I tried not to get too excited as we went to sleep.

Sunday morning we got a call from someone saying they had found a handbag in their property.  My excitement saw no limit and I hurtled off to collect it.  I thought it might have been rifled through.  But so long as most of it was there, that'd be better than nothing.  Once I got it, I could see it was entirely intact.  Obviously someone found it as soon as I dropped it and thought it was from the house right there.  So they tucked it behind the wall.  Saturday morning the husband returned from golf and thought it was his wife's handbag.  How funny!  So, my life was back to normal.  How lucky!

Around 10am saw Jack collected and us picking up the bouncy castle from Sally and Andrew. We dropped them into town for their Yum Cha lunch (lucky things) and we headed home for lunch after picking up some stuff at The Warehouse. Off to Tom's party at 2pm at the Wadestown Plunket. The bouncy castle worked well and the kids seemed to enjoy it. Toby organised the queue of kids and shouted out rules (no shoes, no more than 4 kids, and a complicated one about no more than 2 kids rolling into the side netting at a time). I was quite impressed as no one had encouraged him to do that. The weather was a lot more kind than the same time last year when we were caught in a huge rain storm.
Mike was working on the WTMC website during this time. Toby and I got dropped off at home with the bouncy castle and we relaxed for the evening.

Monday morning was a day off for me so I could help Toby get to school with all his covered books. Mike caught the bus as the weather was pretty bad - wind and a bit of rain. But the rain eased off and Toby and I walked to school easily. We found his classroom and I spoke to his new teacher. Mrs Meredith. Toby seemed ok, but a bit quiet. He was happy for me to go though. No problems there.

I went home and started my needlework. Yikes! I needed to sew three Karori First patches onto our scarves for Cubs. I think the third one is almost passable. The others...? Well... They are mostly straight. Heheheh.

Spent the rest of the day reading my books from Aidan. Enjoyed "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" book immensely. All done in letters from character to character.

Picked up Toby and he asked wee Tom if he wanted to come home with us. It was Tom's first day at school (and his party we attended the day before) and Toby was showing him how Skids worked. So both boys came home with me and they had their after school snack (tiny teddy biscuits and lots of fruit and milk) and played. Christine collected Tom at 5pm and I left to go to Keas (I am rostered on every alternate week to help out) with Toby. we had our fancy scarves to show off. It went well because I am just a helper now really. Michael (another parent) has organised the activities.

Home for dinner from Mike and we had a brazier night as it was such a nice night. After the wind and rain in the morning, it was quite a change. And today is a cracker of a day!

Have a great week. We're off to Dunedin this weekend in a spontaneous visit because our good friends, John and Judith from Southampton are in town! And we haven't been in Dunedin for ages. High time.


Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment