Monday, February 13, 2017

The weekend with walking

Hi,

I just don't understand the weather here this summer.  Everyone is talking about it - and for a good reason.  Saturday saw the boys up and packing for their Dad Tramp to Paua Hut.  The weather was stunning - blue skies, no wind. Exactly the sort of weather you expect in February.

I had to close the doors to the deck for the cat, and then had to turn on the air conditioner as it was so hot.  That's the sort of day it was.

But Sunday dawned overcast and drizzly.  And a little windy.  Iona and Col encouraged me to join them on the Paekakariki escarpment walk, so I factored that into my day.


Dinner last night - fritters and salad with bacon pumpkin stuff


I went to the gym for a 10.20am RPM session, then home for a shower and time to catch the bus to the train station.  Got the 12.44pm train to Waikanae, but getting off at Paekakariki.  Iona and Col got on at Pukerua Bay and we started our walk from the train station at Paekakariki.


Striding into the distance on the Paekakariki escarpment walk


From the train station, you walk back south along SH1 until the rail overbridge just north of the Fishermans Table.  There are steps on the coast side of the bridge underneath and the track starts there.

The weather must have kept a few punters away as we only met 5 groups walking in the opposite direction to us.  They chose the wrong way to walk with a fierce prevailing wind - they would have been walking into the teeth of it the whole way.  We only felt it right on the top when we stopped for the view, and whenever the odd staircase headed back in a northerly direction.

Swing bridge

It was so windy on top!

Contemplating where we've been

Selfie back towards Paekakariki


We started at 1.50pm or so, and finished around 2.15pm.  The signs gave 3.5 hours, so we did it comfortably.  I got a lift back to Helen and Ron's place and Mike was there to collect me.  We enjoyed a cup of tea and a catch up before Mike dropped me at the supermarket in town and rushed back home to continue rebuilding the ASUS laptop.

He did ignore my phone calls waiting for a pickup from the supermarket, so I eventually called the landline and got a sheepish Mike.  Hahah.

I cooked tea (fritters, salad with harissa dressing, and pumpkin and bacon and pineapple grilled - Toby loved the bacon as it had pineapple sweetening it).

Dillingers iced coffee - a solid 7

I caught the bus into work this morning in dreadful conditions.  Raining and a strong wind.  I pity any cruise ships that try to visit today.  You can't believe it is my birthday week in these conditions.

Have a fantastic week ahead.  I am only here Mon - Wed this week.  Heading off to Sydney to see Brrruuuuuucceee on Thursday.  Then off to Christchurch to see him there on Tuesday.  Yep - it's a big month.

If you're in Wellington this Saturday, please head down to the waterfront and support the Raptors in the Fun Day for the dragon boat racing.  Go Raptors!

Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment