Tuesday, January 15, 2019

The Monday evening with a shock to my system

Hi,

Yesterday typified a Gilbert Plan - of epic proportions.  Probably a vain hope of mine to think I could capture it in text for future preservation and comparisons of other Gilbert Plans.  But, I shall try.

It started with Mike and I bussing into town together on the 6.16am bus.  Mike forgot his wallet so I gave him money for his day and paid for the bus.  So far, all ok.

Toby decided against H2OXtreme and they all picked a movie instead.  6pm SpiderMan: Into the SpiderVerse @ The Embassy.  Ok.

I chatted to Abby at 4.30pm.  They were still at home.  So I found them a number 14 bus at 4.48pm that got them into town in time.  Turns out that bus didn't exist.  Gilbert Plan has its first unravelling.  The kids bounce back and find a 4.55pm bus that does exist.  They get on.

Mike plans to jump on the same bus as it goes past his work at 5:08pm (paying using the money I gave him).  He misses it by a minute.  I position myself and jump on their bus successfully.  Mike is two buses behind on a 52.

We all end up in Courtney Place and Mike tries to buy the movie tickets.  But of course I have to pay. We have some food before the movie starts and buy some lollies.  No change out of $100.  Ouch.

Anyway - the movie is so good!  OMG.  I laugh and laugh until my abs hurt and tears are streaming out.  I still snigger even now if I recall SpiderMan's head bobbing along the street as they are towed behind the train.  If I wasn't in public, I would have lost it completely.

Movie finishes and the bus is 26 mins away.  And it is cold.  So we consider permutations to get us home.  Uber?  Nope - too many people.  Mike thinks a bus as far as possible and then Uber from there.  And someone comes back to get the extra person.

We get on the bus.  And Toby discovers he's lost his Snapper.  I snapper everyone on.  3 kids and 2 adults.  But at Manners St, Toby decided to run back and find his card.  He gives us his wallet and phone and he leaps off the bus.  I throw my EftPos card at Mike and he jumps off to follow Toby.

Tyler, Abby and I get off the bus at Lambton Quay and Mike rings.  He tells us a 22 leaves from The Terrace in 3 mins.  So we run down Lambton Quay and up Woodward and just catch the 22 which takes us nearly to our front door.  In a perfect execution of a Gilbert Plan Variation.

Toby finds his Snapper under the seat in the cinema.  And they come home on the number 14 bus that originally was 26 mins too late for the first Gilbert Plan.

All a normal day in our household.  Building flexibility and adaptability (and running prowess) in the next generation.

And meanwhile, more photos from the holiday.  Mainly from my Blenheim adventure.

Iced latte @ Pelorus Bridge cafe

Pelorus Bridge - go visit!

On the trapline

Iced coffee somewhere in Blenheim

It was ok.

Bike in Picton



We venture in - and it is beautiful!

Selfie in the river @ Pelorus

Apparently I resemble a starfish
Last day for Tyler and Abby here.  So sad.  I will miss them.

Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment