Tuesday, January 29, 2019

The Monday with a swim lesson

Hi,

Ok - so I did catch up with Andrew for an iced latte and to hear about his tramping adventures from the weekend.  He knocked off quite a few spot heights and is likely to have less than thirty to go.  Woot!

Mmmm.  Machete iced latte.

Anyway, got through the day at work.  Then headed to Habit for my first swim lesson.  People in the know realise I was looking at this with some trepidation.  Something new.  Anyway, Ruth was great (the swim coach) and she had me doing freestyle immediately to check my form.  Which apparently I didn't have any of, really.  Hahah.  I swim too tense.  Like I cycle, run and ski.  Sigh.  So I need to relax.  And:

tense my core (but not my shoulders)
play tag with my arms
lift my elbow
enter fingers first into the water
bend elbow
stroke past my hip
pull lots of water
relax

I also did backstroke, which didn't seem to need as much remedial work.  And if I were to try and paraphrase what the coach said, I would say it was:  you aren't too useless.

Pretty sure she said something nicer than that.  But that is what I heard.  Hahah.

So another lesson tonight, and one tomorrow.  I expect my arms will be broken by then.  Next one is Tues 5th and the following one is Mon 11th.  I am hopeful I will have something to work on by the end of this so I can add swimming into my exercise plan.

When I got home, Mike was attempting to cut away the stump of the tree he cut down in the weekend. The gardeners had started with a chainsaw but it had thrown its chain and they were coming back to finish it. He was a little bit sheepish because he'd cut too far in before changing sides - and the handsaw blade had jammed tight into the tree.  He'd had to disassemble the saw and just leave it there.  So now our stump features a steel blade hanging out of the middle of it.

In other news, it is forecast to be 29C here today.  Mozzies attacked me at the bus stop this morning, like I was living in Malaysia or somewhere tropical.  Not Wellington.  And foggy as anything.  Mike reckons the expected heat wave from Australia has picked up a lot of moisture moving over the Tasman.  Like - a lot!  The air is thick.

My phone is not backing up to the cloud again.  Not sure why - some dodgy update no doubt.   So you have to imagine my iced latte photo.

Have an awesome day!

Love,
Angela




No comments:

Post a Comment