Monday, February 10, 2020

The weekend with Waitangi Day and dragon boating

Hi,

Well, it has been ages since I posted.  Hahah.  Thursday was Waitangi Day (public holiday here in NZ) and I had Friday off work.  Hence the lack of a post.

Waitangi Day Mike and Toby (and Tessa) were up at midnight to make their ferry.  Trurns out they were an hour early for it.  Hahah.

I was up early (but civilised) at 5.30am to get to my PT session at 6.30am.  Went from there to work to shower, then collected Andrew from home before heading through Haywards to Paekakariki.  We ate brekkie at The Perching Parrot (ok - despite the continued lack of iced lattes, I like that place!) and then drove a short distance to Campbell Park.

Hongi part of the powhiri

After checking out the stalls and finding a coffee van that sold iced lattes, we got told it was too close to the powhiri and they were now waiting until the end of the ceremony before selling drinks.  Oh!  Good on them!

The powhiri was good fun.  Andrew and I milled around with the visitors before tagging onto the back and going into the reception area.

Great speeches (showing my complete inability to follow te reo with any competency - shameful) and waitata.
Stalls around the outside of the park
Finished and drove back to Sally and Andrew's place well ahead of his lunch with his friends.  Home to chill for me (via the supermarket).

Her fave spot on a sunny day

She sleeps next to me on the couch

Friday was lazy (apart from a flurry of work excitement late in the working day that I had to ring in about).  Read lots. 

Saturday saw me up early to check in with work stuff and then off on the bus to town for Fun Day for dragon boating.

Ready to take it on!

We had such a good day.  Joycie sorted out all our needs in the tent.  Matt and Leanne brought in baking.  Yum!

Our timing was awful for most of the races - but we improved through the day.  Last race we won!  Wow!

For me, it was very interesting.  My upper body strength has improved so much that I find our pace really slow and I could actually either go faster or go further.  In previous years by the end of the race I am sucking in lungfuls of air like a starving fish.  No, wait.  That analogy doesn't work.  Fish don't have lungs!

But this year, at the end of every race I was just breathing heavily with the tank still available for a tiny bit of extra mileage.

I don't think that analogy stands up well either.  But thank you Quentin.  Obvs you are doing the biz.

Relaxing 


Sunday was relaxing.  And Google informed me of my January stats in its stalker mode.  2020 starts off with a bang!  16% around the world!  Oosshh!

Google stalking me

Have a great week ahead.

Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment