Monday, July 2, 2012

The weekend that was wonderful

Hi,

What an incredible weekend - one of the best ever!  Friday night I was so excited I could hardly sleep.  Got up at 3am and showered and dressed in my ski gear.  Went out to pick up Andrew at 4am and we were off to Turoa for the day.  We made good time, only stopping to get petrol at Waiouru and take a photo of the Tabor poster there.  I came out in silhouette - it was still quite early in the morning.


Then up the mountain for the start of the lifts.  We did have a bit of a delay putting chains on the car.  Whoops.  I perhaps should have paid more attention whenever Mike did it.  Andrew did well with his chain and mine was decidedly slack and clanked when Andrew drove the car 2m up the road.  Andrew sorted it out and we were off.

The day was fantastic.  Little wind and clear skies.  They could do with more snow - a metre at Turoa.  But more is better!  We hardly stopped all day.  A quick lunch break after everyone else came back onto the snow after their lunch.  But that was it.  My toes are pretty sore now though and I need to sort out my boots.



Back down the hill at 4pm with a staff member wanting a hitch down.  Into the chocolate eclair shop for a decadent snack. 



Then back down the highway towards Wellington.  A quick cup of tea in Waikanae and then an exciting drive back to Upper Hutt via the Akatarawa back road.  Awesome!  Home by 10pm.

Toby had Will sleepover for the night so he was happy on Saturday.  Mike got a lot of work done.

Sunday we were off to breakfast with Jacqui, fresh off the plane from Hawaii.  We met at Joe's Garage and had a scrumptious breakfast.  Then off to the supermarket to get berries and cream for dessert for lunch. 

Lunch was at the William's house and we caught up with John Holloway from the UK in town for a few hours on his way back home.  I hugged him when I saw him, and threw my arm around his neck.  Not too easy as he is pretty tall.  As I flung my arm around him, I knocked my sunglasses off my head.  So I grabbed my sunglasses with my arm that I had flung around John, locking him in a fierce embrace that must have startled him quite a bit as I didn't let go until I had my sunglasses secured.  Not so much a hug as a headlock, really.  Hahahah.

We had a wonderful lunch thanks to Mike's culinary skills.  Then chatted for a while before taking John to Sarah's birthday afternoon tea at Zealandia.

From there we dropped John off at the airport and went out to Sally and Andrew's place for tea.  I ate so much and it was all so yummy!  Caught up with loads of family.  Watched Andrew open presents and went home exhausted and happy.

This morning we drove in as Toby has a school holiday programme at the Te Papa end of town.  He is learning 3D gaming or something.  We shall see.  Complicated logistics mean my bike is due into R&R for a service.

What a weekend!  Woo hoo!

Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment