Monday, September 3, 2018

The weekend with a road trip to see Pink in Dunedin

Hi,

What a great weekend - but first up, on Friday I said goodbye to Bunto @ Machete.  She's off to work in government.  Andrew took a pic to commemorate our last iced latte served by her.

Goodbye Bunto

After work, Jo came over and stayed the night.  Burger Wisconsin was the call.  We watched a movie (can't name it as it might be a fairly new release - but Chris Pratt is rather handsome) and then crashed into bed.  Up early to get away by 7am and get to our flight on time.

Wonder what this is like?

There was a kerfuffle on the flight with my seats.  Someone else had been allocated the same seat as me.  I thought I was going to get bumped off as the flight was full.  But it turns out my seat had been re-allocated at some point.  The hosty that sorted me out was lovely.  Morgan makes me want to fly Air New Zealand.

It was delayed about 20 mins, but when we got to Chch we got the car from Apex fairly easily and then set out to find Vanessa at the Coffee Club just by the airport.  Mike was navigating.  We ended up at my work's office.  Hahahah.  Turned around and found the cafe.

I have no photo of our perfectly nice Toyota Corolla.  Automatic - but the dashboard made up for a lot.  I loved how they laid out the electronics. And it certainly went fast enough when you put your foot down to overtake anything.


Iced coffee with Vanessa @ Coffee Club near Chch airport


A big hello to Vanessa.  It was so good to see her.  And I appreciate that she hauled herself out of bed to  say hi.  I had an iced coffee and an eggs benedict.  Yum.

We finally left the cafe and tried to buy pink hair dye but the chemist had been cleaned out by other Pink concert goers with the same idea.  I think I dodged a bullet.

Said goodbye to Vanessa - but so happy that we've convinced her to come up skiing for Jo's last weekend at the end of September.

Moeraki Boulders


Popped into see the Moeraki Boulders - such a lovely day.  I was only in a t-shirt.  Then on to Dunedin.  Dropped in to see Mike's mother and she had us all sorted out.  Bus routes planned and sandwiches if we wanted them.  After a quick stop, we walked into town.

Where are we?  Hi Robbie!


The Octagon was absolutely buzzing.  Everything was packed.  We eventually found a Mexican restaurant down an alleyway and they had space.  Well, temporary tables on the dance floor.

Mexican cantina

My burrito was good - so no complaints from me.  The lighting was odd as the floor was lit from below.  Kinda weird - but also - kinda good!  I'd go back.

I look so posey

With all the crowds, it was easier to walk to the venue.  And that meant we got to wander around the campus.  It was lovely.  The Father's Day hamper turned up so Dad tried to text me and accidentally called me.  So I called him back and we chatted as we walked around.  We checked out the Forth St flat - which looks the same.  I reckon we could have used a credit card and pushed the front door open as we used to do.

Happy Father's Day for yesterday to the dads I know.

Wandering through the campus

Mike and Jo and clocktower and blossom.  All the icons.


Entering the Forsyth Barr stadium was painless.  Even getting a free drink of water and a toilet stop was easy.  They were very slick with their bag searching, wand waving (we all got wand searched) and finding where our seats were.  We got our seats and had a great view, despite being as far from the stage as it was possible.

Pink!  The stadium was amazing!  Pink made it even better!

The DJ on was called KidCutUp and he was so good.  The audience was bopping along to his tunes.  The Rubens was the support act and played from about 7.50pm to 8.30pm.  Then KidCutUp came back on while the stage was swapped out for Pink.

9.15, the lights went down, and the party started.  And what a party it was.  Pink was so good - the whole 2 hours was such fun.  A good mix of songs from Beautiful Trauma and her previous hits.  Mike and Jo were blown away by her performance.  I was already completely sold!

I don't know how she does it - day after day.  But, it was superb.

The concert finished at 11pm and we walked back to Mike's mother's house.  I think we got home around 11.45.  Not too bad considering the crowds leaving the venue and the steep hill to negotiate.

Up early-ish the next morning and had brekkie with Mike's mother.  Mmmm.  Toast.  And Mike and Jo had Weetbix.  Perfect start to the day.  It did make us realise how short our stay was.  But it was so nice to see Mike's mother, the house, and Dunedin.  We need more weekends like this.  Without Pink.  Well, Pink isn't necessary.  We don't need an excuse to visit.

Old house

The only thing we decided we could squeeze into the weekend was a visit to Tunnel Beach.  It's not far from the house I grew up in, so we also popped in to see that.

Tunnel Beach was the best place to visit.  Wow!  Just, wow!  The path down is very steep, so you need to be prepared for a heart pumping walk back to the car.  But the scenery is stunning.  And we had a lovely morning for it.  The gorse gave the foreground the colour of gold, and the sea a steely blue.  Yep - it made me feel like I was home.


I composed the frame and captured Mike and the beach

Mike did the same photo.  Took ages fiddling.  And then chopped my feet off!

Jo on a rock

Windy - and Mike is taking our photo behind us.

I'm in the sea cave, checking the incoming waves

In the tunnel - and I think I look possessed.  But Mike said I looked like a saint.  Hmmmm.

It was windy at the top of the hill overlooking Tunnel Beach

That wee dot in the sea is White Island.  That wee dot on the hill is Jo.

Jo looking into the churning sea

The colours of Otago

I may have gone a little overboard with the photos of Tunnel Beach.  Sorry about that.  I will come back here anytime I am back in Dunedin.  I'd love to see it in all conditions.

We drove back via the back road to Green Island and hopped on the motorway.  Back through Dunedin and through to Oamaru.  We stopped here for a roast lunch.  And some bread.

Jo and her building (see the name above her?)

Mmmm - bread!


My mushroom stack

Jo tries a genuine cheese roll


Back in Chch around 6.30pm.  Dropped the car off and into the airport at 7pm.  Our flight was delayed again - but only by 10 mins.  Same hosty on the flight as the way down - she chatted to us.  Picked up the car from the airport, and back home by 10.30pm.

Jase was funny - he was so keen to talk to us and vent about his work.  We hardly see him during the week, so I think he missed the chance to talk lots to us, which is where the weekend comes in handy.  But hopefully we have a chance to make up for it tonight over dinner.

Slept like a log, believe me.

Hope your week ahead is a good one.

Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment