Thursday, April 2, 2020

The Wednesday with my first day in the new job

Hi,

Today is Thursday.  Day 8 of the Rahui and day 10 for us.  It's been an interesting week - especially with me starting my new job yesterday.  More about that below.

Let's see.  I think I last wrote here on Friday.  So let me take you through the weekend and what we have done since then.

Japanese Zombie ramen noodles

Mike cleared the pantry and found ramen noodles I brought back from Japan in the back of the pantry.  He could vaguely following the instructions on the back (little pictures) to cook them.  So we ate them for lunch on Friday.  With extra corn kernels and edamame beans added in.

Guess what?  Despite them being purple, they were perfectly fine.

Bread machine is getting a hammering.  Yay!

Bread
 We harvested our pumpkin from the garden.

I see you in there!

It's huge!
The pumpkin was quite the talking point that night around the dinner table.  Toby thinks we should build greenhouses to perfectly simulate the North American autumn season and grow those big, thin-skinned orange pumpkins and sell them for Jack O Lantern carving fun.

If we get really bored during this house isolation period, maybe we can do a Return On Investment analysis and determine how many we need to grow to make a profit.  Hahahah.


Another walk in brief sunshine

The cold, wet, windy weather had a brief respite so Mike and I went for a walk up to the top of the hill again.  With a lot of Wadestown.

Wellington looking great in the sun

Mike looking at Vivienne's house


Home made iced latte in BB8 cup - thinking of Joycie

Smudge chilling in the sun

Mike's last day was Tuesday for his current contract.  And my first day was Wednesday.  I had to make cake for my first day at work.  But...

We don't eat a lot of cake
We had hardly any flour (this was before Mike's grocery shop expedition)
We had hardly any butter
We like cookies

ANZAC cookies for work
 So cookies it was.  And they were yummy.

First day was weird.  Still having our PT sessions with Quentin, so we were up early.  I ironed my shirt for my first day at work.  And... wore slippers!

How weird is that?  I told someone that I am not likely to wear slippers again on the first day anywhere, except maybe a nursing home.  :-)

First day came.  Attended meetings.  Chatted to Ange and Roanne (totally a bonus).  Read a lot.  And when I finished, Mike had cooked an awesome dinner.

Mexican night.  With a lot of guacamole. MMMmmmmm.

Gorgeous sunset

And a foggy Wednesday dawns

Mike went shopping!
 During my first day, Mike went shopping.  I think he needs a separate post about that.  It was amazing.  And I was so happy to see all the fresh fruit.  Which he washed in soapy water and rinsed.

Moxley sleeping on her fave blanket

And that was the week.  Drama free except for last night when we went to bed.  Mike got up to do something and said he could smell gas.  Whereupon I said I could too.  And we wished Mike's mother was here to nail the origin.  He went down to turn off our main gas supply.  No change.  Then realised it could be the BBQ cylinder (which is inside).

Sure enough - it was on!  But we hadn't used it for weeks.  So maybe we have be slowly killing ourselves.  Not sure.  Toby was worried when he came up and said he could smell gas.  So we went to bed with all the doors open.  The cats loved it.  Night time prowls on the deck.

This morning (Thurs) is had all dissipated.  Yep - BBQ it was.  Although not sure why is caused an issue just now.

Now it is day 8 (our day 10) and things are becoming normal.  Except I have no iced lattes - and Mike didn't buy any from his grocery run.

On the Rooibos.  Hahah.

Today is Ron's birthday - so we are remembering him today.  Vivienne thinks he would have been proud of the way this govt has stepped up to manage this.  And I have to agree.

Have an awesome day!

Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment