Monday, April 26, 2010

Good morning on Mon, Apr 26

Hi,

What a weekend!  I was off early at 1730 on Friday and almost immediately cocooned in my First Aid immersion course.  There was no cellphone reception or radio or television, so I was cut off from any developments in Wellington - of which there were some.  But more on that later.

For me, it was straight into 2.5 hours of CPR on Friday night before bed.  I had a restless sleep but felt ok the next morning.  We had a full day on theory, practical and watching DVDs.  Saturday night I had hours of good quality, blissful sleep.  Ahhhh. 

Sunday saw us acting our scenarios to cement in place the things we had learned over the weekend.  The course was a well run event and the instructor was exceptionally good with years of experience to back up anything she taught us.  Eventually we were good to go and packed up and left.

As I got into cellphone coverage and I prepared to ring Ma for her to collect me, I got a text from Mike saying Ma was sleeping in and he would come and get me.  But I texted him back saying I had a lift home sorted.  But as I got closer to town, I got a text from Karen saying something like "Do you know how Robert is doing?".  Huh?  What a odd text.  So I replied saying it was a strange text and I had no idea what she meant.

Karen replied and said Dad had been taken to hospital in the night.  Oh dear.  Panic was starting to take hold, but I tried to keep calm until I saw Mike and he could explain.  Turns out Dad has had the same reaction to his medication that he had a few years back.  So yes - he is in hospital.  But he is ok.  And in fact, if they cut out this particular medication completely, hopefully he'll be even better than ever!  That's my hope.

So I went around to see Ma as she had only got back home at 8am after a marathon effort at the hospital during the night seeing all sorts of nefarious Wellington nightlife filter through the hospital system.  Mike was busy entertaining tramping club members keen on tramping with children so he had his hands full.

Ma was ok - a bit shaken still.  So we planned to visit Dad and I went back home to see a bit more of Toby before going back to take Ma into hospital.  Dad looked very good in fact.  He was surrounded by 90 year old men, so I think he was feeling young and chipper!  We're hoping he'll be discharged today with new medication that won't give his body so much gyp!  Fingers crossed.  Mum will take the bus in to see him this morning.

Mike and Toby had a full on weekend with parties, sleepovers and hosting afternoon tea for a multitude of people.  I don;t know quite how they survived.  Toby swam well.  He enjoyed Jack's party.  Mike relaxed with Sally while that was on.  The Tabors visited (but we forgot to give Duncan and Emerson their present, although I do have to say, we did give them birthday presents back in January, so it wasn't a complete problem.  They may be onto a winner here - birthdays in January and again in April.  Perhaps I should investigate a similar method?) and then Mike and Toby relaxed at home Saturday night.  Sunday Mike tidied and did the laundry (thank goodness - there was a mountain) and then put on a great afternoon tea.

Phew!  Thank goodness for the bedlam of work.  So much calmer.

Have a great week!
Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment