Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Good morning on Tues, Aug 3

Hi,

What a surreal, but wonderful, weekend to Sydney we had.  It's hard to imagine we were ever away as I sit here at work as if it was a normal weekend.  It certainly didn't feel like 3.5 days as we only had two full days in Sydney. 

Karen's party was wonderful - as any party they host is always wonderful.  They had 10 extra people in their house and Karen and Scott coped marvellously.  They had the party catered and it was yummy and unobtrusive. 

We arrived Friday evening and debated getting a rental car out to Quakers from the airport for me, Toby, Mike, Mum and Dad.  It was a close thing.  If we didn't need to drop the car off in town the next day, but somewhere out near Karen and Scott's place, I would have been in!  But we decided on the train and hopped onto the next train from International to Central (where we had to change to the yellow line out to Blacktown).  As we were two stops out from Central, Karen rang Mike.  I heard him say he was two stops out from Central and Karen excitedly told him Michelle and Tim must be on the same train.  Then Gramps yells out "Michelle" in a booming voice.  We saw Michelle and Tim at the other end of our carriage.  So we rode with them all the way to Blacktown.

Karen and Noush collected us so we all got home at about 8.30pm.  It was perfect.  We ate spaghetti bolognese (although Toby was far too excited to eat) and then Mike and I took the GPS unit into the airport to collect Kylie then Sharon and Jamie.  It worked well and we even managed to show Jamie the Opera House and Harbour Bridge on the way home.

Crashed into bed and slept like a log.  Toby was in Abby's bed and Mike and I were on her trundler bed that pulls out from under her bed.  Toby woke at 5.30am (I guess 7.30am Wellington time), whispering"Abby, Abby!".  I told him it was just Mum and Dad and to go back to sleep.  Which he might have done.  I certainly did.

We got up early and got ready for swimming.  Abby and Tyler had their lessons while Jamie and Toby swam around waiting impatiently for the lessons to finish so they could all play together.  Toby loves Jamie - as do Tyler and Abby!  Especially Abby!  When the girls finished their lesson, Karen took me to Castle Towers for some shopping and then big boys took the little boys and girls home.

Then it was preparation for the party and at 3pm it all started!  Woo hoo!  There must have been 60 people easily there - including about 15 or 20 children!  Scott's family come as a massive unit: hire-a-crowd really.  And they always treat us like family too.

I managed to get some rugby watching in as well that evening.  I think I made it to midnight and crashed.  Noush and I sang karaoke for a while before that.  We figured no one would remember us too well.  As I slept in a coma, I did get woken up to the dulcet (???!!!) tones of La Bamba from Scott and Chad, but I fell back to sleep immediately.

Next day saw quite a few bleary eyes.  We took it easy with a little shopping and not a lot of much else.  The day disappeared really.  And we were to bed early for the early dash to the train station to catch the 5.57am train into town.  Dad dropped us off and we made it!  One hour later we were walking into the International terminal for our trip home.

Wonderful stuff.  I am sad though as it was such a little visit.

Mike went to Keas last night and Toby and I stayed home.  At 6pm Toby wished he had gone to Keas though.  I was pleased to have the night off as I had a headache for a lot of the day.  Much better to stay home and cook.

Back to work and into it all already!
Have a great week!
Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment