Monday, January 16, 2017

The weekend with no Toby

Hi,

Ok - I am really missing Toby quite a lot now.  I think it is probably a good thing that he isn't texting or ringing - he must be rather happy on his summer holiday still.  Today they all leave and drive to Queensland.  Well, maybe not quite all the way today.  Toby loves road trips so this should satisfy him.

Mike and I got up early on Saturday and headed past the Catchpool entrance to the coast to go on a meetup walk through the Baring Head area.  The GWRC did a fine job taking us through there.  We learned about the history of the place and what they want to achieve over the next few years.



Feet looking back at Wellington

Baring Head lighthouse - automated in 1987

Walking back towards the car

A person cattle stop

Old pumping house

The walk was only 3 hours long, and a slow pace.  But that was a good test for my Achilles.  It held up well.  We met a bunch of people that Mike knows from Meetup and I chatted to a woman called Pip.  She had met Toby at Kaitoke at the start of December and remembered the bacon a stick fun over the campfire.

Mike and I sat at Catchpool next to the wee river and ate our lunch before heading back into town to buy new running shoes for me and new work shoes for Mike.  Jem at Show Clinic got me on the treadmill and apparently I have a good running style.  Yay for that.  Sheer fluke.  My new shoes will hopefully help with the Achilles situation.

Mike and I had date night in the evening.  We went to Capitol (a favourite of mine) and I had corn fritter with whitebait and Mike had steak.  We shared the decadent, yummy chocolate fondant pudding.

Off to see Passengers next door and Mike and I both loved it.  A good date movie on Toby's recommendation.  Basically a romance on a spaceship.  A cool special effects.  Mike loved the opening sequence of the ship hurtling through space.

Next day Mike had a lot of messages and some work to get through.  he took a wee load of stuff to the tip.  I went to Five Burroughs and met Christine and Tom for brunch.  Mmmmm.  It was a good catch up with them both.

Astonishment at my iced coffee at Five Burroughs

I caught the bus back home and got through the mountain of ironing before Mike got home.  Then we were off to visit Sally for tea.  Andrew got back from his tramp and we all ate yummy naked burgers.  That seems to be meat patties without bread.  Tasty.

Back home and I stupidly read until late and now I am a little tired.  Oh well.  Mike didn't sleep that well either so we're a little zombie like here.

We have Friday off (and Monday for Wellington Anniversary weekend) so we're off to Sunshine Coast to collect Toby and bring him back to the crazy Wellington summer.  It was almost like winter over the weekend.  I hope he's getting his Vitamin D fix in Australia.

Have a wonderful week!

Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment