Friday, September 30, 2022

The completely predictable migraine

30 Sep, Kathmandu

After a late night and an ok sleep, I was up early for Bharat's 6am Durbar Square expedition. 

But alas, by 6:30am I had the familiar flashes of a migraine aura. Back to bed I went. No Kathmandu Durbar Square for me, no Monkey Temple for me either.

I felt okay enough by lunchtime, though, to emerge and face the day.

Yummy Hotel Jampa Chili Chicken

Hmm, what's on my to-do list?

✅️change money
✅️notebook and pen
✅local sim card
❌️didn't get pants
✅scammed (nicely) out of rs1000*

*rs1000 is somewhere between NZD 10 and USD 10. Think, "100 rupees is about 1 dollar" and don't worry too much about which dollar you mean. Thanks to that mean Mr Putin the exchange rates were jumping all over the place anyway.

OK that last one wasn't really on my list (initially).

Kathmandu in a jetlagged, post-migraine fog is hard to deal with. I was clearly easy pickings because I made lots of friends along the way who had painting shops and rugs to show me, with special prices just for me as their new friend. Eventually I met a man who said, don't give me money because I'll just spend it on booze but can you buy some milk powder for my baby? How could I say no to that.

I scurried back to the safety of my hotel.

The others were meeting at a momo (dumplings) shop after monkey temple so I headed out there armed with Google Maps and a vague sense of direction from three years ago. 

Chenda happy to jump on the back of Expansion's scooter after momos!

Then back to the hotel, Expansion took us shopping for hiking gear, and then it was dinner time.

First group dinner, meeting everyone together for the first time

Packed for Pokhara.
Suitcase stays behind, grey porters bag goes on the roof, black daypack comes with

We're on the bus to Pokhara tomorrow already. Not a lot of time in Kathmandu! 



No comments:

Post a Comment