Monday, February 27, 2023

The weekend in a slightly damp Wellington

 Hi,

Good weekend with a fairly relaxed feel to it all. Was a bit damp through the bulk of the weekend. But we seemed to have missed it. Mainly by staying inside. Hahah.

Foot healing well

Arm healing well - and comparing similar excisions with work colleague

I compared my arm with Vance at work - he got an excision the day after mine. So we had pirate arms.

Friday I popped into town to catch up with Andrew at Pickle and Pie. Their creamy mushroom pie was good. So good.

Bus on a wet day

Looks like a mere scratch

Pickle and Pie lunch fun

Moxley claims me

Must be comfy

Mike headed out on Saturday to see if he could fix Janine's hot tub heater. They made some inroads. And got the porch light sorted.

Meanwhile I went to see the Black Sticks women play USA again. Much better game - 4 - 1 was the score and a win for NZ.

I went to see Black Sticks women again

Mike covered with cats

Sunday saw me and Mike laze around in the morning, then head out to QE2 park for a ride and a walk. We avoided the rain - yay.  And I checked how my bike worked with no battery and off track. Good test - and I will head there on Friday to do a decent ride.

Duck hide

Hahahah - I look like I am wearing a beret

Prof Dawkins

Back home and showered and ready for the session at the Opera House with Richard Dawkins. I saw him last time with my mother - so I was missing her for sure. She would have loved that.

Good discussion on science 

A controversial discussion Richard Dawkins took on was the Mātauranga Māori changes in the NZ school curriculum. Personally, I think the two chaps on the stage took the wrong approach to a subject that they are obviously passionate about. And it went on a bit too long.  For me, I think they should have raised it with a positive slant - at the end of their mini lecture on it, Prof Dawkins did say it was good to have it in the curriculum - just not in science.  Should have led with that.  Said what their concerns were - then ended with exhorting the audience to not just believe them but go and research it for yourself and if you agree, make yourself heard.

Anyway - always good to have science provoke the public into thinking about how we can best use scientific discovery for the betterment of us all. Globally, locally, with iwi, with everyone.

Dropped back home and into bed and slept well. Moxley had a cicada in our room - but I seriously couldn't care less.

Rode into work Monday morning. Busy week ahead. Have a good one wherever you are.


Love,

Angela



No comments:

Post a Comment