Tuesday, June 6, 2023

The weekend with the kings birthday and a tramp

 
Hi,

I have no idea what is happening with the blog site today. It was all weird. Anyway - huge weekend. First King's Birthday weekend for many of us. We actually heard the 21 gun salute from our house yesterday at midday! Conditions must have been just right for the sound to carry.

Tuesday work iced latte

We left Friday after work for our tramp - Pouakai circuit on Mt Taranaki. Picked Caitlin up from Z shed at 4.30pm or so and headed north. Loved the new motorway all the way past Otaki. Filled up at Sanson and basically ate junk for tea. Stopped at the Stratford motor camp and enjoyed a good sleep there. Nice wee cabin with a double bed and single bunk above and another single bunk bed (for Luke and Caitlin). Stacey and Callan were in another cabin. Stacey found a great wee place - cheap, clean, warm. 

As we got ready for the tramp, Caitlin realised she had left her tramping shoes in Wellington. But a quick check of shoe size showed she was about the same as me. So she wore my car sneakers for the tramp. They are my rattiest pair. I do not know how she did that quite tough tramp in my daggy sneakers. She has fortitude.

Up and away by 8am and found a wee cafe in Stratford that was perfect for an omelette to power my day.

Nice iced coffee

You know you're in Stratford when...

Got the best view of the maunga for the entire weekend from the cafe

Out at the North Egmont visitors centre by 9.30am and off tramping. We tackled the circuit clockwise. And to be honest, I have no idea if there is an easier way or a harder way. Our way seemed tough. But we also had a lot of down which would have been hard work the other direction.

From the visitors centre, you grunt up for a couple of kms. My watch wasn't tracking properly so at the 2km mark, when it said I had done 60m, I restarted.

We had some sunshine in this section. And rainbows. Lots of rainbows. Caitlin offloaded some of her food to Mike, which sped her up and slowed down Mike. Bit of a win/win there.

First grunt up - into the land of rainbows

Me and Luke

Me, my wind-blown hair and a plant for Andrew

Cold

I loved this section. Basalt columns towering above us. Waterfalls. Interesting plants. So much more forested than Ruapehu or Tongariro. It is a dormant volcano so I guess it has been a long time since a decent eruption.

Lunch at Holly Hut was lovely. Warm fire going. Enjoyed my egg sandwich from the bakery in Stratford.

Boardwalk to clouds

Pouakai hut was a welcome sight. Found our bunk room and turns out we were the only ones in the 8 bed room. There was a Dad with a bunch of 10 year old girls on a birthday trip. How cool. And a couple of others. Plus the warden and her grandson. Nice.

Up to head away the next morning after a very windy night. It was a damp walk. And a lot of up! We walked over two wee hills. Henry and Maud (I think). And a lot of down. My right knee started complaining and I changed my gait and I think that made things even more sore. Doh!

The iconic view of the maunga - with Stacey

The iconic view was shrouded in cloud. But I would like to come back one day when it is fine to see this in all its glory.

Cut wee toe all mended

Back at the lower car park and Caitlin and I waited for 40 mins for Mike to get back with the car (he walked with the others to the visitors centre). But I did get really cold and I could not make my hands work well to get into warm clothes.

Also - my sneakers were worn by Caitlin - so I only had my Ugg boot slippers. Hahahah. We called into a pub in Hawera called Rough Habits and I went out in Ugg boots.

When I got back in the car, I realised I had also been out in public with a pair of undies stuck inside my trouser leg. OMG. Best forget about that pub visit. Hahah. The food was fried - but heaps and tasted good enough. It was well needed.

We continued through to Wellington. Back home by8.30pm. Not too bad.

Monday was spent lazing about, reading.

Covered in cats

Up early Tuesday to bus in (first time in ages) and PT session.  35kg bench 4x4. And a bunch of arm and shoulder accessories.

After work we have quiz with Elly and Tom. Woot!

Have a great (short) week.

Love,

Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment