Monday, September 9, 2024

The weekend with epic spring challenge training in Blenheim for me

 Hi,

What an epic weekend. Flew to Blenheim late Wednesday and managed to crash the last two rounds of quiz because Col ducked out to pick me up. Not that I did a single thing in the final two rounds. One of which was TV and Movies. Not my genre. Worked from home on Thursday very successfully. Iona came home at lunchtime as she had a cold. She was under the weather for most of the weekend but still did way better than me at cycling sand walking up hills.

We tried some Japanese food - Gohan. It was quite good. But I will never buy natto again. Please remind me of this. 

Friday morning at Kenepuru Sound

Up early Friday to drive out to Nicola's house and get a ride from Tony past Linkwater into Kenepuru Sound for a cycle and a hike. We rode from a flat spot on the sea into the hills. I did a bit of pushing my bike up a hill. Iona managed to grind her way to the top on her bike. Wow.

Started the walk to Waikakaho Valley from Cullensville side. We rode up a road that felt like a farm track. A cow followed us and Nicola rode through a tape across the road. Gave her a huge fright but she was okay. She is carrying a really sore shoulder from a bike crash a week or so back. But fortunately didn't do any damage this time.

Stashed the bikes

Start the walk to Waikakaho valley

Crossing one of many streams

We walked up to the saddle and it took the best part of 3 hours. What a grind up. Phew. But so, so lovely. Even into the pine forest was great fun.

Gorgeous day

Enjoying the hike

Gold mining town ruins

There are derelict huts, disused mines and ruined villages to look at. But I was only allowed time to check out the ruined village. So cool.

Yeah - I am astonished at the ruins

Still visible in the bush

And down the other side

Col drove in then walked the last 2km to meet us

And done.

The walk took us 5 hours and 15 mins. The DoC time as 5 hours. But we had a lot of treefall to negotiate on the tops. A lot of treehugging happened. And we had a tiny hole under one to take off our packs and scurry under. Hahah.

Trapline Saturday

Saturday was trapline day at Pelorus. I did not do park run. Lazy and soft. But Malcolm turned up at 9am and we were off to Pelorus to meet Jean and Allan soon after that. Coffee cart there had no ice. But the others enjoyed their coffees (after a huge beekeeping course cohort got their coffees).

Toastie on top

We got a few critters. Rats and mice. 7 in total. Good fun in the bush. Took us over 4 hours to complete Lower U and K line.

Back for tea and early to bed so I could get up with Col to watch SA v All Blacks at 3am in Capetown. What a mighty game. But stupid mistakes cost the All Blacks dearly.

3am rugby

Sunday kms in the saddle

We also did a 33km bike ride with Nicola. Up the Taylor River to Wither Hills and the Map Track. I am not sure I am getting better at these hills. Then through town on the Whale Trail to Grovedale and back to the house. So good.

Another stunning day

Gourmet tea


What a great weekend. Lovely dinner before Col and Iona dropped me off at the airport for my flight home. Mike picked me up at the other end and whisked me away home. He had a great time with running and whisky tasting at home. And looking after the cats and my starter.

Up for a bike ride into work as we have a new starter today at work for the team. Woot!

Monday morning iced latte

Hope your week is a grand one! Enjoy.

Love,

Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment