Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Good morning on Wed, Jan 21

Hi,

I think I will making a recording of the inauguration of Obama because the National Radio programme was playing it when the alarm went off and Mike leapt out of bed to turn on the TV. Mike never leaps out of bed. I might get it to come on at 5.59am every morning!

So, we watched the inauguration for quite a while. I like the hope that everyone seems to be feeling about this change. Fingers crossed.

Because we were leaving late, I had a shower at home to make sure it gave me more time once I got to work. However, we were 2 minutes away from work approaching traffic lights when they went out. And the bulding was in darkness when we got here. We switched on our feeble bike lights (feeble because they haven't been used since winter ended so the batteries are running down) and made it to the bike rack. The lift was running but dark so we kept our lights on.

When we got to the ground floor, all the lifts in the building were broken. Everyone was mulling around. Mike's bike had broken on the way home last night (he stopped and nearly fell off at one stage with some choice words, and then again a few hundred metres on). The hub is broken and you can freewheel the pedals in both directions! It catches every now and then and you can pedal properly. Mike made it into work ok, but he decided to take it in to get fixed as there was no action in the building. The bike should be ready tomorrow evening.

So, I got dressed in the dark in the ground floor toilets. I seriously wondered if my clothes were on right and what my hair looked like as I stepped back out into the bright light. I switched my bike light back on and walked up the stairs in the pitch black to our floor. Then the people that had either arrived bfore the outage, or managed to climb the stairs, all sat around chatting and listening to the radio to find out what was going on.

It is all back up and running now. And the American chap we work with has cookies and cake to celebrate a new beginning. Just perfect with my cup of tea.

Have a great day!

Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment