Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The Tuesday with a total lunar eclipse

Hi,

I rode home to collect the car and then nipped back to the library to collect Toby.  Apparently the last day of term means he has soooooo much gear he can't possibly walk home.

I had been looking at the mostly blue sky all day at work, sweltering inside with the unusual sunshine, and feeling smug that I would see the lunar eclipse.  But at 4pm, the cloud cover came over, thick and unbroken.  Shucks.  I obviously forgot to appease the weather godlet.

We have a new deck - almost done!

Slow cooker stew for tea - yum!  First one of the season.  Mike got home and I slowly convinced him we should go to a vantage point looking to the east, just in case the cloud cover broke.  Parted, miraculously, showing us a coppery red moon in the Earth's shadow.  He looked at me like I was mad.  But, oddly, both boys decided to come.

We drove to a lovely seat looking out over the harbour - watching the completely choked motorway (there had been a 5 car pile up just south of Petone).  The cloud cover never parted.  I was even in denial about the slowly oozing moisture from the clouds.

Mike has some photos of our adventures.  He might post them later.  Back home and off to bed.  What a lovely evening, despite not seeing any sign of the moon at all.

Up early to go for my run.  It was pouring with rain and I was unsure about running in such heavy rain.  But it stopped as I went out and I ran for thirty minutes without a drop of rain.  As I walked down the steps to the house, it started again!  And then I rode in, and got the only 15 minute dry spell then too.  That weather godlet that I failed last night in some way must have taken pity on me.

Mike's mother is coming in to look after Toby today.  Not too sure if it will be dry enough for them to get out of the house.  There is a talk on the sub antarctic islands tonight at tramping club, so I'll go along to that.  Should be awesome.  I really want to visit them one day.

Have a fantastic day!
Love,
Angela




No comments:

Post a Comment