Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The Tuesday with frantic Cub night

Hi,

Mike's Cub night went down a real treat.  Mike was running the "Mad scientist" night and I don't think we put any potential scientists off their chosen profession.  I think the bubble bomb was the biggest success, although the crowd did go wild when Mike dropped Mentos into a bottle of Coke.  I ran the invisible ink experiment, and I thought after the excitement of "Fake Snot", "Bubble bomb" and "Silly putty", the Cubs would find it boring to write messages they couldn't see and then heat it.  And of course, being the geek I am, I also told them all about oxidation some common forms we know.  However, the Cubs were excited to see their messages appearing.

We had brought in a lamp to heat the paper, but it failed miserably.  Panic was about to take hold as I looked at another 45 minutes to go of taking group after group through a failed experiment.  Then I hit upon using the stove elements in the kitchen to heat the paper.  Worked great and the extra bits of burnt paper offerings were also well received by the Cubs.  I regaled the Cubs with stories of when I was trained to fight fires at Kilbirnie Fire Station to assure them I was in complete control of the smouldering messages.

Home to collapse after that effort.  Today is choir and karate.  I am on karate duty and will head home early to try and feed Toby something before his extended class.

Mike has a work session after work today followed by tramping club night.  He has a day walk this Sunday.

In other news...  I handed in my notice at work yesterday.  I finish on June 2nd here, have Mike's birthday celebrations on the Gold Coast and then come back to a new job in Wellington.  How exciting!

Have a great day!
Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment