Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The weekend with Monday off as well

Hi,

Is it so unreasonable to love three day weekends as much as that?  You seem to pack so much more in.  Mike and I went out Friday night to a party to celebrate a friend's wedding.  This meant driving around the suburban streets of Tawa as Mike tried to navigate there without a map.  We gave in!

Saturday morning saw Andrew start his race down south.  We have been tracking him on this link:  Brevet  Please hop on and send him a message of encouragement because this is a hard race.  Tough.  Long.  Hot.  Did I mention tough? 

Up early Saturday to pack and off to the Tararuas for a tramp.  I wanted to wake up in an empty meadow in the tent, basking in sunshine and solitude.  I got my wish.  Along with a broken body for my exertions.  Hahahah.  It was such a great walk with Mike.

Start of the tramp - Mike looking gorgeous at Rocky Lookout

We left the carpark at Holdsworth at 1.05pm and wandered up for a spot of lunch at Rocky Lookout where we chatted to a group of young Germans touring around together.  We popped over the hill down to Totara Flats.
First swing bridge was a baby
 Mike had been that way before, but it was the first time I had been that way.  It was lovely.  Glad my pack was relatively light because the ups and downs were big enough.
Second swing bridge was huge and had warning signs about use in high winds
 When we finally got to the bottom, we crossed the second huge swing bridge.  It was a lovely thing to cross.  Onto the hut and down to the river meadows to find a tent site.  Mike found the perfect one - well, second perfect.  The first perfect site already had a wee tent pitched in it.
Our campsite - perfect!

The evening was lovely and we were in bed by 7.30pm, chatting away.  Drifting off to sleep before 8.30pm easily.  However, at midnight the wind kicked in and after that my sleep was broken.  I got up to do a wee at 2am and the night was stunning.  Bright, almost full moon.  Brilliant stars.  So warm I was only in shorts and a sports bra top thing.  It was lovely.
Selfie on Sunday morning after climbing up the hill.  Mike never ever mentioned my wild hair!
 Packed up early, munched on a One Square Meal bar because it was so windy we couldn't make a cup of tea and off at 8.25am.  Slogged up the hill, but it wasn't too bad.
At the top - all downhill to the car from here.  I think that's what hurt me the most.
 I think the downhill on the other side was what killed me.  My toes were scrunched into the top of my boot and I was worried about losing toenails.  So I walked with my toes scrunched up and tense.  So now my muscles ache like crazy.  Got an iced coffee in Greytown and it was good.  8.5 I reckon.
The prize?  An iced coffee at Main St Deli in Greytown.  Very nice.
 Back to Wellington and I collected both my bikes from the mechanic and they are both looking amazing.  On Sunday I rode to Newlands and collected a woman there from a client site and we rode into town together.  She wants to start riding in.  She lives at the top of a steep street.  it was a hard start to my day but got the muscles working.
La Cloche iced coffee for my exertions on Monday
 I think I did 30 km riding back and forth and a few hills to work my legs.  Not quite in Andrew's league, though.
My road bike is beautiful after its service.  
We had a decent earthquake at 4pm on Monday.  Shook the house a bit but no damage at all.  Just made the hearts race.

I hope you have a lovely week.  Toby is loving it away with Ma and now Shona and her family have joined him.  Well, I think he is loving it.  He has only emailed once.  Yes, I am missing him.

Mike is taking the wee green car in to have its roof sewn up.  Can't wait.  That should be great!

Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment