Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The weekend with Toby in Auckland

Hi,

What a fabulous time Toby and I had in Auckland for four days.  We flew up super early on Saturday morning and we got a rental car.  A tiny Nissan Note or something.  Hopeless car but Toby loved it.  No Aux In on the radio so we suffered through a few trips with More FM.  As we used my phone GPS to navigate to Roz's house, Toby got a call from his friend Jack.  So they chatted as I winged my way towards One Tree Hill and Roz's house.  Unfortunately I didn't go the way Roz explained and fell off the motorway in an unexpected place.

But, my navigation instincts are well honed and although I could hear Toby trying to hang up with Jack to help me, we went through quite a few suburban roads before Toby finished and I pulled over to consult the map.  Turns out we were on the exact road to Roz's house.  Cool!

We went to collect her and drop Toby off at Jack's house.  Got a tour of the house and then Toby was invited to stay the day and night for a sleepover.  So Roz and I went back to her place and chilled out before a movie (Philomena - very good!) and dinner.  Back home to bed.

Up early to meet Toby and Jack's family at the ferry to Waiheke.  The day was a bit drizzly but turned out lovely in the end.  Toby and I got on the ferry with Jack and his parents and Pippin the Border Collie.

Toby is in the sea - and my feet look great!
 Jack's parents hired a car so we went around to Onetangi beach and stayed there for the day.  That was the same beach we stayed at for the social club weekend.  Lovely place.  This time I got to swim and snorkel in the sea.  I think I need a long, lazy summer holiday on the island.  Rent a house for a week.  Do nothing but swim, walk, bbq and and eat.
Drawing after their swim
 After snorkelling in the sea for a bit (it was a little boring and I only saw a few fish) we came back to get changed and dry off.  The boys drew for a while.  Then we had afternoon tea at Charley Farleys.  This was the place with the great iced coffees.  I had got through half my scrumptious iced coffee when I reached over to help the boys get to their chips by removing the bowl of sauce and I knocked my glass over.  Oddly, it shattered as it fell so I lost my iced coffee.  A tragedy of biblical proportions!

Toby climbed a big pohutakawa tree
 After food we were fortified to walk the length of the beach.  We found some rocks and trees to climb.  Then back to the other end to wait for Jack's parents.  They contacted us and asked us to come to the house they were visiting.  Turns out the nicest house along the beach (but back down the other end) was where they were.  Stunning house!

Last bit of sun hitting Onetangi beach - Toby is chasing Pippin
 Back to the ferry and a late ride back to Auckland.  Roz kindly came and collected us and we fell into a coma in bed at her place.

Monday saw me and Toby go into Newmarket for shopping.  The shop only had key chain Ugly Dolls.  Never mind.  Off to see Wally and Chelsea at their place for lunch.  Toby played in the park and I read a book once Wally headed back to work.

I wanted to take Toby to our old house in Bucklands Beach but my phone went flat.  Toby was dong well navigating but without a map it was hard.  Especially when a notice on the motorway said one of the off ramps was shut due to an incident and I think that was our exit.  So back to Roz's place to relax for the rest of the day.

Tuesday we had a lazy start to the day - packed up and headed to the airport.  Dropped off the car and sat waiting excitedly for Ma to come through customs.  Toby whiled away the time with some Maccas and played with some eyes.
Waiting for Ma at Auckland Airport
We had about ninety minutes with Mum.  Had a coffee.  Chatted.  Toby was so excited to see her, as was I.  Eventually though we had to say goodbye.  I headed back to my gate at the domestic terminal.  Hopped on my late flight and back to Wellington.

Now we're Tobyless.  I hope he has a great time with Ma and Shona and her family (they arrive in 6 days).  He's back on Sunday Jan 26.

Thanks to Roz for putting up with us at her place.  I hope the cats have survived the shock.  We left Roz with a huge list of jobs to do around her place.  She'll be busy for months!

Have a wonderful week.  Short one for me.
Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment