Wednesday, October 28, 2015

The weekend with skiing

Hi,

The long weekend was superb.  We had Friday night at home and due to poor weather at Ruapehu, we didn't leave at 4am to get a full days' skiing in.  No.  We slept in and left at a much better time of 7.45am.  And we had a food filled drive up.  The best!

I stopped at Farmlands in Taihape and got peach teats just for Rex.  And gumboots for me and jandals for Toby.  Great fun.

We went straight to the hot pools at Tokaanu when we got to the region.  Soaked in one of those for a while before having lunch at the Tussock pub at the bottom of the hill.

Up to the lodge around 4pm and settled into a room.  We were sharing with a woman from Auckland.  She was going to find it odd to have Mike in the bunk next to her, so she moved to another room.  Apparently she was only there because she snored.  I thought if they were foolish enough to choose Mike's snoring over hers, they were welcome to their room configuration.  I thought it was mean to make someone sleep elsewhere just because they snore.  Anyway, she moved out.

We went to sleep early because we got up at 3.15am to head down to Skotel for the rugby.  Huge game against South Africa at Twickenham in the 2016 RWC semi.  All Blacks won.  It was a tight, good game.

Back to the lodge and I got ready for skiing.  Headed up.  Trhe centennial life was access only as there was no snow in the lower mountain.  As I went up waterfall express quad, I saw a lot of patchy snow, but it was skiable.  I decided to ski waterfall T all day.  There was never a queue and the snow softened up perfectly.  There were jumps and all sorts.  I got a lot of skiing in.

Mike came up and joined me for the afternoon and we had fun together.  Doro and Pat often boarded with us too.

Selfie at the top of Waterfall Express Quad

On my favourite easy run - Waterfall T

Mike joined me, so here's a photo from further away than my arm span

Selfie of us

Male model I skied with

While Toby and Mike were in the lodge together in the morning, they carved a pumpkin.  Yes, we brought it with us.  It looked pretty good outside as the sun set.

Toby's carved pumpkin

Sunset over Mt Taranaki

Next morning we heard Australia were through to the final.  Woot!  Big game next week.  We headed away early.  Had brekkie in Ohakune at Mountain Rocks.  Good coffee.

Mt Ngaurahoe looking mighty fine

Good iced coffee at Mountain Rocks

When we got home I did some frantic ironing before we went to Aidan's place.  She baked and cooked while we chatted.  Well, I may have snoozed on her floor while Mike chatted.

I left them to it and Ange collected me for archery lessons.  Her blanket to ward off the cold was from Mosgiel Woollens.  Blast from the past.

Ange's blanket at archery came from Mosgiel Wollens

We were both on target
We both did quite well with our shooting.  Here's hoping I don't forget by next Monday evening.

Tuesday was busy.  We had an appointment at Toby's school so we dropped Toby at school and we both had breakfast at a cafe close by.  The appointment went well and we were back at work for the rest of the day.

Right.  Time for tea and to kick start the day.

Have a wonderful Wednesday.

Love,
Angela


No comments:

Post a Comment