Tuesday, April 3, 2018

The long Easter weekend in Nelson Lakes

Hi,

We had a fabulous time tramping/camping in Nelson Lakes over Easter.  Ok - my organisation of it left a bit to be desired (note below Mike's comments on the dinner I tried to serve him), but the weather was pretty good.  Stunning on two of the days, raining on one, and a bit overcast on the other.  Not a bad selection of weather, really.

I took Thursday afternoon off, as I had a parent teacher interview with Toby's ropu teacher (form teacher - in the old school terminology).  Thank goodness I did that - it was bedlam enough without trying to fit in work.  Toby was at home too - so that was another factor (teacher only day - so they can chat to parents).  Mike and I Ubered home and collected Toby and gear and headed to school.  Ok - that makes it sound easy.  Mike and Toby basically had to pack at this point.  And we had a deadline.

The appointment was for 2.30pm and Mike had thought it was 2pm.  So that threw us for a bit.  We ended up picking up Iona and grabbing her car keys before she thought we would.  We collected her from the Interislander terminal and dropped her at the train station for her long weekend in Wellington.

We drove out to Melling, collected the van, transferred our gear from our car to the van, and drove back to town to collect the punters.  Stacked all of us (well, 13 of us, the 14th person was running late and ended up as a foot passenger) in the van for the short drive to the terminal.  The ferry ride was uneventful.  Got to Picton where Toby and I disembarked as foot passengers with Iona and Col's car key and found their car easily enough in the long term car park.


Toby's hand is way bigger than mine, now.

We drove in convoy with Colin driving the van and me driving Iona and Col's car.  We got to St Arnaud around 10.45pm.  Found the campground, after checking out the eels under the jetty.


Eels at Lake Rotoiti at 10.45pm Thursday night

Tents at the campground
Had a good sleep in the campground and realised we were in the boggy, damp part of the campground in the morning.  Brrrr - I had been cold. Halfway through the night, I climbed into my sleeping bag liner and back into my sleeping bag and managed to sleep better after that.

Ummm - how long are we away for?

Our frantic week ahead of Easter meant our packing wasn't optimal.  And as we emptied the car onto the handy picnic table, it became very apparent.  But eventually we got everything into our packs.  And boy, was mine heavy!


Never get tired of this view - Lake Rotoiti looking mighty fine


Tourist shot.  Is it cliche or iconic?  Iconic!

The day was stunning - so sunny and still.  We got the iconic photo on the jetty with the best view imaginable.  We live somewhere special.

Awesome mushrooms!

We started the walk to Lakehead, but Toby found the heavy pack meant his ribs were not up to it.  After a brief chat around a massive toadstool that looked like it was right out of an Enid Blyton story, we decided to head back to the waterfront.  From there, Mike and Toby booked a water taxi to Lakehead, with all our gear.  And I scurried up the track to meet them.  With no pack, and carrying a bottle of water and a brownie in my pocket, I made it to Lakehead in just over 2 hours.  Well under the 3 hour DoC time.

Everywhere you look, it's stunning

Just starting my walk - and more mushrooms!

Feet and the view.

I found the boys had pitched the tents in an awesome spot - same as we had used when Toby was 8 years old.  Only that was Labour weekend.  And obviously not sandfly season.  They were everywhere!  Lucky we had some Dimp!  Mike was convinced they actually liked it.

Our campsite at Lakehead



Wee robin - so cute!
 We enjoyed a lovely Friday afternoon.  I had to give Toby my Exped sleeping mat as his mat deflates overnight and the ground was too hard on his ribs.  The things a mother does.  Saturday was drizzly most of the day so we chilled out in the tents for the most part.

I cooked tea on Saturday - and Mike was not impressed.  I tried to serve him rehydrated beef mince on rice.  The rice was slightly undercooked and the mince was plain.  He took one bite, and declared it the worst thing he had ever eaten.  We shuffled food around, and he heated up some butter chicken sauce we had, dumped that over the top and declared it edible.  Toby ate 2 minute noodles and was happy.  We now won't let me prepare any menus and we need a slightly bigger billy for camping/tramping.  Oops.

Saturday night, once we hit the sleeping mats (me on the deflated one) we heard kiwis calling in the distance.  And a squealing pig much closer.  So close I was sure I heard snuffling at one point.  Mike ended up in Toby's tent for that night.  So exciting hearing the squeals - although it did wake me off and on.

Next day was stunning.  Mike and I went for a walk further up the valley and I will totally stay further up next time.  The grassy flats are beautiful.  No wonder that night had been cold.  I thought it was because it was just me in our tent, but the frost we walked through explained it!

Mike and I go for a walk further up the valley

There was a goblin forest - it's just one tree here though
It took a while for me to thaw out as we walked.  I had to use gloves and my hoody to try and keep warm.  The frost and damp grass soaked my feet quickly and made my feet so cold.  But the beauty of the area was breathtaking.  I could stay here longer.  Obviously with better sleeping mats and a food menu not prepared by me.

I contemplate life while on a bed of rocks.  Like some religious zealot.

We stopped after an hour and I lay out on some rocks (the grass was too wet) and just soaked up the solitude and scenery.  Ok - it does make it look like I have actually died in the photo above.  Or possibly some self flagellation by resting on a bed of nails (rocks).  But it really was quiet contemplation.  And the dry stream bed was perfectly comfortable after Toby's rather flat sleeping mat the last few nights.  Hahah.


Pig damage

Thought I'd take a pic of the pig rooting to show Toby what the squealing pigs are actually doing during the night.  Excitement at finding a juicy root, maybe?  Might make me squeal too, I guess.

Toby enthusiastically rolls his egg

Angela enthusiastically rolls her egg

Mike rolls his egg and wonders why.  Like every year.

As it was Easter Sunday, we had to roll our eggs before we could eat them.  Toby and I did this with our usual enthusiasm.  The photos show this excitement - it is evident in our body language.  Mike, on the other hand, was underwhelmed.  It is merely a barrier to his chocolate eating.  Hahahah.  His body language is saying - what are you making me do?

Stunning colours

We packed up the tents and left for the walk back to St Arnaud.  We lightened Toby's pack and he managed to walk, even though his shoes were not up to the walk and he ended up lightly twisting both ankles as we walked out.  Mike walked ahead at came back at some point (2/3rds the way back) to spell Toby for a bit.

I clean my shoes - they filled with mud

We stayed at the St Arnaud Motor Lodge (or Alpine Lodge, maybe).  Anyway, it was so heavenly to be in a bed.  Cost us $180 but I spent a long time in the shower and washed my gear as well as myself.  I think it was worth it.  Hahahah.

Toby takes odd iced coffee pics
 We ate brekkie on Monday morning at the petrol station cafe.  I got an iced coffee too.  Solid 6.5.


This was supposed to be me drinking my iced coffee.  But I like it so much, it's in the blog.


We spent a while reading on the foreshore before collecting other punters from their various trips.  One had a story about her emergency beacon (PLB) activating itself after getting damp, and a rescue helicopter being dispatched from Canberra's Search and Rescue call centre (she's Australian) to find her.  It landed at Angelus hut, much to her horror.  She had no idea it was for her until they spoke to her.

In Picton, Toby and I went through the Edwin Fox maritime museum.  We both loved it.  I think Toby might be a history buff.

Picton harbour through the Edwin Fox porthole

Captain Toby

Me in the lower hull

Mike accidentally left our important ferry bag in Iona's car so we have an excuse to visit again soon and retrieve it.  We got on the 6.45pm sailing and Mike dropped me and Toby home before doing the car van transfer at Melling.  He's a lovely organiser.

Great weekend.  We need better food planning, and a light, bigger, billy.  And no more sore ribs for Toby.  But take me back there, anytime!

Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment