Thursday, October 25, 2018

The time I went to the Sunshine Coast

Hi,

Ok - it is so hard writing this after 3.5 hours sleep.  I hope to get through my unread emails without too much effort and wrestle my workload back under control without a heck of a lot of cerebral power.

The trip to Queensland was such fun - and when I think at this time yesterday I was paddling in the sea at Surfers Paradise in my t-shirt and shorts, it is rather difficult to get my head around.

Anyway, I got an Uber to the airport for my 5am check-in without any bother.  Sat and waited for my flight.  The weather was stunning as we left Wellington, and I saw Ruapehu and Taranaki like huge lumps in the landscape. Watched a movie on the Virgin app and dosed a bit.  Landed, hurtled through customs (don't queue for the first machines - walk through to the main customs hall - plenty of machines there) and tried to ring for a pick up for Apex but the phone kept hanging up.  Anyway, a van came.  I jumped on.

Turns out I was super early.  It's much easier going through customs with no checked luggage or a child.  Or any duty free purchases (well, I did get some cream for Mum!).

Mt Ruapehu from my flight to Brisbane

Picked up a Holden Astra from Apex on Nudgee Road and jumped onto the motorway north.  I plugged the phone in and sang non-stop.  Ummm.  I stupidly took the Caloundra exit again (I have done this before) and added about 20 mins to my journey as I searched for the Sunshine Motorway again.

Note:  never take the Caloundra exit.  Even if the signs suddenly no longer show the Sunshine Coast as an option.  It really is an option.  Just a little further up the motorway.

Got to my parents place around 11am and chilled with my Mum for a while.  I may have fallen asleep on the floor a bit.  Hahahah.  Dad got home from work and we had tea out at a Thai place in Peregian Beach (or maybe it was Coolum) before I finally collapsed into bed.

Up early (5am) and away in the car by 6am for my drive into Brisbane.  I couldn't get the GPS on my phone to call out the directions, so I winged it, getting to within 500m of the Transit Centre carpark before I had to pull over and check the map.  Oosshh!  Parked in the carpark there, and walked over the pedestrian bridge to Southbank.  Had such a lovely walk to Nonna's Deli Espresso where I met Susan for breakfast.


Brisbane

Nepalese temple


Iced coffee with Susan @ Southbank - Nonnas Deli Espresso
 I was so happy to catch up with Susan.  It quite possibly might have been 2010 the last time we actually caught up.  When she lived in New Farm (or somewhere there - and Mike got blisters from walking on hot pavements with his barefeet before he ducked into a chemist and bought emergency jandals).

Susan is now a high school teacher, and I reckon her students must be some of the luckiest students in the country.  We chatted about our family and work and general life stuff for a few hours.  The food and iced coffee was so good too.  Great choice, Susan!

Susan then walked back with me to the city.  We said goodbye and I hope we see each other much more regularly.  I got back to the Transit Centre 10 mins before Jo was due on the Greyhound bus from Sydney.  16 hours on a bus!  Overnight.  OMG.  I feel a bit sick just thinking about it again.  Her bus got in at 11am (delayed due to traffic) and it was so good to see her step through the doors from the parking bay.

Selfie with Susan!

My feet arrive in Peregian Springs

Jo and I retraced my steps (so to speak) in the car back to Peregian Springs - although this time I didn't get lost on the motorway.  Phew!  We went for a swim in the pool in the late afternoon.  Nice.  I did miss Toby (and Tyler and Abby) at this point.

We went to Coolum for dinner with Jo.  Some family pub place.  It was ok - I had some baked avocado stuffed with blue cheese.  But the cheese was too strong for the avo flavour.  Sadly.  Vanilla ice cream for dessert though.  Mmmm.

And my feet get wet in the pool

Next morning we wandered down to Noosa marina (in Tewantin) and ate brunch there before jumping on the ferry to Noosa and Hastings St.  Mum and Dad checked out the surf club while Jo and I chilled on the beach.

Iced coffee at the Noosa Marina cafe

Jo - bored.

My feet @ Noosa's beach

Jo checks out the beach scene

Ma and Dad on the Noosa ferry

Jo wasn't feeling very well, so we didn't do a lot.  While we chilled at the beach, I went to find a pharmacy to get some medicine to help with her nausea.  But it didn't really help an awful lot.  It meant eating wasn't a lot of fun, and then Jo had no energy because she wasn't eating.  Poor Jo.

Dad and I got caught in a massive thunderstorm when we got back and decided we needed some groceries for tea.  When we came out of the supermarket, it was hosing down.  I ran to the car and got soaked.  Dad was soaked just trying to get into the car when I pulled up to the under cover section.  A small taste of the mad weather they have had recently.

I married a male model!  Yes - this is a random photo.  Mum has it on her sideboard.

We watched a movie at home in the evening.  Darkest Hour.  About Churchill.  Excellent movie.  Next day we had a lazy start and then drove up into the hinterland behind Sunshine Coast to visit Montville.  Very nice part of the world.  Tried a cafe.  Cute wee shops.  Hilly, even.

Iced coffee in Montville

My mother was checking out my hair - so she took a pic!

After making my mother traipse around hills, she decided against joining us in Surfers Paradise.  Too much strain on her joints.  I was sad.  She was sad.  But, actually, it was totally for the best.  She has a holiday soon, and needs to be as well as she can be to enjoy that.

In the end, Jo and I left Peregian Springs at around 8.45am and drove down through Brisbane to Wet n Wild and spent the day there.  What a hoot!  We loved it.  I loved the wave pool.  And the funnel ride.  And the other rides were great too.  Not much of a queue.  The weather was nice and hot.  Not a lot of drinking fountains.  We hired a locker for our gear and had to pad around the place in barefeet a lot.  I have blisters now from the hot, rough footpaths.  Should have worn jandals.  Should have taken jandals to Queensland.

Had fun here!

Ibis - for Toby.  And some rubbish.  And my rental car.  
Left Wet n Wild at about 4.30pm and headed into Surfers.  Navigated mostly to our hotel.  Watermark.  Or, depending on where you are at night when you read the sign:  WAT MARK.  Or: WATE ARK.   Or:  WATER RK.  Turns out at night they light up the sign, but there is a massive part of the building obscuring the sign.   Weird.

We parked and walked back to find the hotel, checked in, and then drove back.  Deposited our bags in the room and went to find something to eat near Cavill Ave.  Checked out the moon above the sea on the beach.  Ate an awesome "Viking salad".  All salads should be fit for Vikings!


Jo checks out another beach.  Surfers Paradise this time.

I cannot do a proper selfie.

Lazy start to Wednesday morning.  Found brekkie at Coffee Paradox - which paradoxically was next to the Transit centre where we actually needed to take Jo and her luggage.  So, after a lovely smashed avo on toast, we wandered back to the hotel and drove back to drop Jo off.  Said goodbye to my lovely friend.  Not sure when we'll see each other again, but I am convinced she is positioning herself for the next exciting chapter in her life. 

Iced coffee @ Coffee Paradox in Surfers

I want to go for a swim!

I drove back to Brisbane airport (GPS said 1 hour 6mins - and it wasn't far off it).  Found a small petrol station on Nudgee Road about 3kms from Apex.  Perfect!  As I pulled into Apex, the shuttle bus came.

It was smooth sailing through to my gate.  Waited around, reading.  Then boarded.  Easy flight back and a surprise collection by Mike from the airport.  I thought I had to Uber.  My plane touched down at 12.20am and I was hugging Mike at 12.36am.  How fast was that?  Benefit of no luggage and nothing to declare.

Woot!  Awesome time away.  So good to see Ma and Dad.  Good to see Jo on her travels before she leaves the southern hemisphere.  Lovely weather.  Not enough sea swimming - but hopefully next time won't be just after mad weather that churned up the sea!

Thank you.  I loved it.  Thank you to Mike and Toby for letting me run away (briefly).

Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment