Monday, November 2, 2020

The weekend with my first aussie rules game

 Hi,

The weekend was quite the mixed bag, really.  The big news is that Mike was still sick and spoke to Healthline on Sunday morning and ended up getting a covid test!  But more on that later.

Saturday saw Mike staying in bed after trying to get up.  He tidied the kitchen and was exhausted by that (to be fair, there was a lot of mess!) and went back to bed.  I went to boot camp.  

Moxley sleeping next to me at work on Friday

Around midday Elly and Andrew arrived at our place and we headed to Vogeltown to pick up Elly's new oven off TradeMe.  It fitted into the back of the Subaru with tonnes of room to spare.  Drove it back to Titahi Bay and delivered to her kitchen.

At Automat for a late lunch

Hahah - my manic selfie attempt

Andrew and I dropped into Automat on our way home as Andrew hadn't eaten anything all day!  We had some vege burgers (good hemp pattie) and chips.  

Back home to find Mike was still a bit under the weather.  But Toby was right into Halloween with Tessa.  They were baking biscuits and carving pumpkins.  We also watched some scary movies.  I think Andrew left just after the 1931 Bela Lugosi Dracula classic.

Halloween biscuits

Happy with his carving

Ready to scare wee kids at the door

We get a T-Rex coming to the door

Awesome

Witchy greetings

Less scary witchy greetings

Sunday saw me up and cooking brekkie for me and Mike.  He wasn't well still so he chatted to Healthline and after 2 nurses spoke to him, he booked in for a covid test at 10.20am.



I headed off to Hutt Park for my 10.30am meeting ahead of the 11am kick off for the AFL game between the Saints (my team) and the Tigers.  The game is 8 a side, and the field is reduced by about a third.  Imagine how far you'd need to run if you only had 8 players on the full sized pitch!

We lost 8 points to 41.

I started on the bench as both teams had 9 players.  But within 2 minutes I was on.  I had no clue but it was such fun!  I kicked for goal once and maybe touched the ball two more times in the entire game.  I had a go playing forward, back and midfield.

They wouldn't let me on without a mouthguard so I took one from Shane (coach) that he swears had been boiled.   But on my way home I stopped at Rebel Sport and bought my own.

One woman was hilarious.  She full on tackled another player and then hung onto her leg until the woman finally dropped to the ground.  Her rugby heritage was showing up there!  I laughed to see that.

My experience?  Well, besides absolutely loving it, it turns out I am a bit hopeless at team sports and have hardly any spatial awareness.  :-p  The team was amazing.  The youngest on our team was 13 years old (and she is way taller than me!).  So there was a 40 year age spread.  That's pretty cool.

Popped into Sally and Andrew's place at about 12.30pm after the match and they were just having lunch.  I got poached eggs on smashed avo.  Mmmmmm.

Also heard from Mike.  He had to postpone his 10.20am covid test as he got a migraine!  Poor guy.  But by the time I got home he was actually out getting his test.

Mike gets a covid test

He drove into a car park somewhere on Taranaki St and they had it all ready for him.  He was the only one there.

We went to the park when he got home so I could try out bouncing a footy.  I can do it 9 times out of 10, if I concentrate.  Needs more practise.

I popped out to see Fran.  Her cat Gizmo is so cute.  She looks like Smudge and is friendly.  Like Smudge's alter ego.

Evidence of our game.  We lost 8 to 41.  Ouch!
Hey Gizmo!  You are so cute!

She's so friendly

She has shaved patches of fur after a run in with the neighbourhood terrier.  Bite puncture wounds got infected and she needs surgery to remove dead flesh.  Poor wee cat.  But she is right as rain now.  If a little wary of the fenceline with the neighbours.

Back home and up briefly before bed.  Had a good sleep.  Must be all that running around after an oval ball.  :-)

Up for PT session with Quentin.  32.5 kg 3 second pause bench!  OMG.  Tough work.

And working from home.  Hopefully with Spin after work though.

Sally has started her 3 month holiday.  Wow.  Her itinerary looks amazing.  They head off this weekend for the South Island.

Have an awesome day!

Love,
Angela


No comments:

Post a Comment