Friday, May 20, 2022

The Thursday where Sally and Andrew intervened because they were concerned with my pining

Another day working from work. Drama all around me like a cyclone on the way to work.

I was up bright and early for my first at-gym session since omicron broke over us like a warm tropical wave of infected phlegm and spit. But alas Quentin the PT was sick today so no gym til tomorrow. My plan B of a cheeky 5k run soon petered out when I felt the gale force winds that were lashing the waterfront this morning. My somewhat sad plan C was to go to work early.

While I was showering and changing my phone rang, It was our cleaners. I could hear the strident alarm in the background - our house alarm was sounding and they couldn't shut it off. We haven't armed it in years so it had clearly malfunctioned and 'failed on'. I told them the PIN, they tried it a couple of times and it didn't help. Oh no. Our poor cats. I told them they couldn't do much about it so to go away again and I'd get someone to look at it - and either fix it or disable it entirely.

Half an hour later they rang back.

They were at another client's house, who happened to also be called Mike, and they'd run the wrong Mike.

I got through my work day, and then Sally suggested dinner in town with her and Andrew. Yay! Off to Bin44 we all went for yummy steak. We solved all the problems of the world, from the health system to our elderly parents to what to do with their underfloor insulation.

So tonight I am hosting the Warren Miller Ski Movie on behalf of Wellington Snowlovers, a meetup group I run. This is because I had to look into Facebook for something for the first time in months, and discovered that they'd found my Facebook group and asked for someone to host.

There were many responses to that. No response at all would have been fine. "Good luck in your search for a host" would have been encouraging. "Hi, I've DMed you about this" was NOT NECESSARY.

In my delicate pining mental state I neglected to say NO.

So anyway, if you fancy seeing an awesome snow movie at the Brooklyn Penthouse, tonight or Sunday afternoon, come along and heckle me. Buy your tickets here.

So after my Eurovision post yesterday I got an overwhelming* response, almost entirely positive but with several comments made** along the lines of - sure, Cornelia sounds great singing to a highly produced backing track and a hand picked audience with the juggernaut of the Swedish popular music machine finessing every note and every frame, but is she really any good? Really?

*Me. It was me. Responding to myself.
**In the internal monologue inside my brain

Well to address this burning question, here is Cornelia singing her song in a Swedish snow field with nothing but a man on a keyboard filling in the rest of the melody, and it's so lofi that she has to clap at the start so they can synch the audio. AND SHE STILL SOUNDS GOOSE-BUMPS AMAZING.

No comments:

Post a Comment