Monday, May 9, 2022

The weekend with a park run and not a lot else

 Hi,

First weekend without Toby after he headed back after his holidays.  I'll njust get used to it and then I'll be off to visit my parents.  Hahah.

We did a few things through the weekend - even though we are trying to semi isolate ahead of my trip.  Mike got the doorbell installed with the security camera.  It's quite cool.

Testing the new doorbell/camera

Lovely sunrise Saturday

We decided park run would be low enough risk for us.  Janine and Maureen met us there.  Maureen ran like a machine (25 mins) and then ran back to help me finish the last 250m.  It must have worked as I got another PB.  Yay!

Maureen helps me finish with another PB.  Parkrun #4



Here I go - powering (hah!) to the end

We popped into that cafe opposite the Dowse for some brekkie.  Had a good chat until Janine had to rush off to meet the plumber coming to fix some leak under the house.  And we said goodbye to Maureen and went home via Mitre10 in Crofton Downs.

Iced latte at the cafe in the new convention centre

This is me and an iced latte

Mike wanted rat bait and ended up buying some new traps.  He set them when we got home and when he checked them around 90 minutes later, there was a dead wee mouse.  That trap constantly had its peanut butter bait eaten.  But was obviously too light to set off the trap.  Since that mouse was killed, there has been no more bait nibbled out of that trap.

Catch#6. Mouse caught within about 90 mins

We caught up with Andrew at the Thai Country Cafe in Tawa for tea on Saturday night.  He was in Tawa as a carer for Helen as she recovers from her recent hospital incident.  She is recovering slowly - her brain is making her go slow so it can rebuild more effectively (I think that is how she described it to Andrew and how he explained it to me - but goodness knows if I got that right).  The food was okay - probably what I would expect from a suburban Thai place.  Not super spicy.  But it was good to chat to Andrew and hear about his week and how Helen is doing.

Headed home at 9pm - ooohh - out late!

I got up early Sunday morning to try and see the Eta Aquarids meteor shower with its radiant around the planets that are lined up at the moment.  You can see 4 of them below (Venus, Jupiter, Mars and Saturn).  And actually Uranus is also in there - but you can't see that with the naked eye.

Up to watch the Eta Aquarids meteor shower and the planets all aligned

This is what my Sky app says I was seeing

I saw 4 meteors in the 45 mins I lay out on our bench on the deck.  The first one I saw was pretty good - a decent trail over a second long.  The other 3 were pretty faint and if I wasn't peering intently at the area of the radiant I would not have seen them.

Shame there was high cloud making things fuzzy.  The clouds also came through from the west from time to time.  But it was the faint high cloud making it less than ideal seeing conditions.

It was fun to chill on the deck for a bit, gazing into the lightening pre dawn sky.

Sunday was chill.  Mothers Day.  Got brekkie in bed (the best fruitless, crossless, bunless loaf Mike ever made!).  Read a bit.  Spoke to Karen in the morning.  Then Mum and Karen during our tea time here.  Mike spoke to his Mum.  Yep - quite the social day - but remotely.  Hahah.

Woke up Monday to a wet, grey day.  Bit windy too - but not too bad.  Apparently Mum says it is like that in Queensland too.  Oh.  But - like 10 degrees warmer I guess.

Anyway.  Back at work.  Got Friday off for my flight to Aus.  Exciting.

Have a great week.

Love,
Angela


No comments:

Post a Comment