Monday, May 29, 2023

The weekend in Wellington with a mud race for Mike

 Hi,

What a weekend. It was quite the whirlwind. Mike was up early Saturday for his Tough Guy/Gal race with Callan and Stacey.

Cuckoo with Ben

Home on the bus with Mike

4n20 vegetarian pie - was good

It had rained all night and as we drove out to Camp Wainui, it was very wet. We got there at 8.30am and we could see they had to organise different parking as some of the lower grassy area were really soggy. Lucky we had a 4WD vehicle - they pointed us up past the race start to higher ground and we found a good spot. Mike and I sat in the car for a while until Mike had to brave the conditions to register.

30 mins before the race start

Going to get wet and dirty

Callan and Stacey found us and we sat in the car until 9.40. That was when the rain eased off and by the time we got to the start line, it had stopped. And it stayed away for the duration of the race.

The organisers made some big calls. Good on them for having safety as their main concern. Everyone was doing one loop now (so all 3 got to run together!) and they cut out the big climb up a rope called Everest. So it was a shorter loop.

The punters assembled all clean

Waiting for race start

Hey Joycie!

There were a bunch of people we knew from our last workplace. So good to see them. Manisha was competing and did so well. What grit she has! Joycie was there, showing what a great supporter she is of her mates. Coffee date soon, Joycie! Saw Brendan and Lucy smash it. And Hayden (from years back and our dragon boat sweep for a few seasons) came top 10! Oosshh.

Go Manisha!

And they finish well

Filthy Mike

Mike leaps over the finish

The intrepid trio made it in under an hour. They would have been faster on an empty course - but you have to queue for some of the obstacles. I was very impressed with them all! Well done!

I made gingerbread

Mike headed off to Survivor night and I made gingerbread. They got to Corner Creek (bottom coast of the Wairarapa) and decided they could not survive there. So they call decamped to someone's crib in Caterton. Good call!



Moxley chills on me

Sunday saw Iona pop in for a cup of tea. We chatted for a bit before Mike got home from his adventure. Then Iona and I went to her ferry, via a tent pick up in town. I also got a stash of late season feijoas. I said goodbye to Iona as she got into her queue and walked back to work and rode my bike home. With the 10 feijoas in my back pocket of my jacket. Hahahah.

I ate the entire feijoa stock Iona brought me

Dinner to celebrate this guy's birthday

Then Mike and I headed out to Barry and Kath's place for tea with everyone. It is Barry's birthday on the 29th (today!) and he is 55. Woot! We had such fun. KFC and chips. I got corn nuggets. It was a treat.

Jake, Stephen, Mike, Helen, Janine, Dean, me, Barry

So much laughter. The way Barry and Stephen banter is hilarious. They asked after everyone in my family so I gave updates.

Back home and into bed for me and Mike. Mike is away on a first aid course Mon and Tue. Hope that goes well for him.

Have a good week.

Love,
Angela


No comments:

Post a Comment