Monday, October 16, 2023

The weekend with marine mammal medic training and an election

 Hi,

What a weekend! I am sure to forget a bunch of things. Let's see... I was sick Thursday afternoon trying to shake off this cold. Didn't really work as I have kept a useless cough through the entire weekend and endured a headache most of the time. Oh well. Didn't stop the fun!



Selfie with Mike

Oh - there you go!

Friday saw me move my dentist appointment because you can't cough with someone's fingers in your mouth. That is now next Friday.

But I did go and buy a wetsuit. Headed to Lyall Bay and Backdoor - but they did not have my size. Kara got the last one! Went to Torpedo7 and got a great deal on a 3/2 steamer for $105. 40% off! Sweet!

The heat pump maintenance person came at 2pm. Looked at both heat pumps. Turns out the bottom one is broken. So he turned it off on the outside unit. We need to sort that out.

I went to collect Mike from work when he was done and we drove to get fuel for the car and then found a car park and went out for dinner at Mr Go's. Very nice. Bumped into Vanessa there too! (From work).

We were in town because we had tickets for the 9.4pm Taylor Swift Eras concert movie at The Embassy. But we were so tired after dinner that we actually drove home for a rest before heading back out for the concert movie. OMG. Sure signs we are old.

At Taylor Swift's Eras concert movie

Embassy tickets

Anyway - what was the movie like, I hear you ask. Well, we were probably only half full in the big cinema. But you would not know it from the noise. We had no idea because from our seats near the front (D row) we could not see the many seats above. But once Taylor kicked into singing, everyone was up on their feet, singing their hearts out.

I thought it was fantastic. I would love to see this concert for real. And Mike, despite only knowing 1 out of 4 songs, loved it. Taylor Swift can certainly put on a show. And she makes it seem so genuine. I do not understand it. She has work going back 17 years (I think she said that) and really looks happy to be strutting her stuff. And all the pressure is on her. It is her work. Her stardom that draws the massive crowds. This stadium (SoFi stadium in LA) was full. 75k people. All there to see one person. And she had them all enthralled. But - there you go. Fantastic time had by all. Job done, Ms Swift.

Up early Saturday morning to collect Kara from her place and head to Worser Bay Life Saving Cluib for the Project Jonah Marine Mammal Medic training course. Run by Lou and Darren (and some volunteers), it was an amazing day.

We got there at 8.15am. Ange and Danita were not far behind us. We got into the room and it was set up classroom style. We had a book to work through and a few presenters to take us through the content. 36 of us turned up - and they can typically handle 34 of us. They anticipated some no shows. However, we turned up on mass for it. Bit like a whale stranding in action.

Ready at the Project Jonal training

We learned about whale anatomy, rescue techniques and health and safety. We had a wee break for morning tea (I bought a t shirt) and a slightly longer break at lunch. But Kara and I had to dash back to the house for lunch to give Rasta a reprieve from house prison.

When we got back, I ate my lunch during the next session. And we were not too long away from the second half of the day - a practical session on the beach. With two inflatable cetaceans. First though, we split into two big groups. And we volunteered to have a long break because we could go and see Rasta, have Kara check Ange's sprained ankle out (nice bruise there!) and put wetsuits on in the safety of Kara's house. Hahahah.




Cats check the heat pump maintenance equipment

Even Smudge came to check the maintenance gear

On the beach at Worser Bay

After our 1.5 hour break, we headed to the beach. We had a long finned pilot whale (called PJ) to float on inflatable pontoons as our first training exercise. We did the best out of the 4 groups. So  -yay team! Our whale floated on the pontoon happily and drifted off into the sea once let go. :-)

It was cold weather. Strong winds from the north - slightly sheltered in this bay. Peter Jackson (like, for real) was out walking the beach and took photos of us rescuing the whales. I would not have recognised him. But others did.

Kara and me

Are you ready for this?

I am so ready

Here we all go: me, Kara, Danita and Ange

Our second practical exercise was a blue dolphin stranded high on the beach. We had to cool, comfort and calm the dolphin and get them back to the sea. Our first attempt was enthusiastic rather than concerted effort. We got marked 5/10 for that. Learned our lessons and got back to business with our second attempt. Did much better. Got the dolphin onto the mat and into the sea.

Key things: do not water the blowhole. Do not go near the tail or head. Keep eyes cleaned. Water a lot. Dig holes with hands for pectoral fins to hang down (deeper holes than you think). Dig channels to take the water away from pooling there.

Lift like a dead lift.  :-) Use those glutes.

I need new reef shoes

We were done by 4.45pm. I jumped into the car with Kara and dropped her home and got home. Fed the cats and got into the shower with all my gear on still. Washed it all. And me.

Then drove out to Sally and Andrew's place for tea and election night watching. Sally and I enjoyed Burger Wisconsin when I got there. Mmmm. Andrew and Mike were out at brewtown - and Andrew left to vote and then come home. He got leftovers from the fridge to eat.

Mike was a bit later. He'd had a great day. We watched a movie where Sally and Mike fell asleep. Then home to bed.

The election result was less than ideal from my political leanings. A move to the right. I would always prefer a jump to the left. WhatAmIEvenSaying? National/ACT coalition looks likely. NZF might even have some sway. Totally not my cup of tea. And even worse, Australia voted no in the Voice referendum by a reasonable margin. Sigh.

Up for brekkie and a huge rugby game. Ireland v All Blacks. And I thought Ireland would win. And it was a massive, close game. Could have gone either way. But Ireland were playing catch up the entire game. And the All Blacks played a huge game. And edged them out by 4 points. Wow.

Made brekkie for us for the big rugby game

Prime spot

Gym with Mike and Sally

Off to Lower Hutt and gym with Sally and Mike. I only did 30kg bench because I still have that dumb cough. But 8 reps. And 6 sets. 

Here I am lifting light (30kg) but high reps

Iced latte at the Dowse cafe

Well, Andrew looks good!

We had lunch after at the Dowse cafe. Then back home to relax before the week kicks in.

Mike is working in town. I am WFH. And things are just trotting along.

Hope your week is mighty!

Love,

Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment