Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Mike's Tuesday and Wednesday morning

A few workmates and I tried to go to Siem Reap for lunch - because it's the yummiest Thai/Malaysian food around.  But disappointingly it was closed (on Monday and Tuesday lunchtimes) so we headed to Roti Chennai instead.  Now, I quite like Roti Chennai having been there once or twice before - but Siem Reap it's not.  So we were sadly disappointed.  It wasn't even up to its usual cheap-and-cheerful standards either - our rotis were lumpy and cold.  Our waiter was quite uncoordinated too, and split stuff and dropped our meals loudly on our table.  Someone nearly wore their chicken curry. One of my workmates didn't hold back in describing what she thought of the place in a not-quiet voice.  Quite funny, in an awkward Ricky Gervais sort of a way...  But I think we'll try again today.
The storm, at midnight Monday night.  Gales and lashing wind!

I had to leave work later than Angela, so I got to ride my bike home yesterday afternoon.  We'd driven in partly because the big storm Angela was telling you about had hit in a huge way - but by yesterday afternoon it had passed through and the sun was shining.  So it was a pleasant ride home.  Huge tailwind though, which meant I got another personal best going up the hill - 8 min 15s!!  Would have been sub 8 min if a doddery old man near the top hadn't met a car going the other way and spent ages figuring out where the edges were on his Porsche Cayenne, and how to actually get it out of the way so traffic could flow.  He should have bought a Daihatsu Charade if he can't drive an SUV.  Oh well.  But that really was a one-off that was totally wind assisted.

I went home and then drove the other car around to Lesley and Wally's for fish and chips.  Their alterations are looking good, but they're as well as being kitchen-deficient, they're pretty cold - there are holes in their walls right now where the southerly whistles through.  We left them trying to work out if their washing machine will actually fit in their new laundry!  Ah, don't you love it. 

Speaking of renovations, ours are proceeding apace.  The sparky comes to finish off tomorrow.  The builder will be coming next week to fit the doors and the brace gib.  The painters have just started on the outside.  Hmm, I must ring the plumber.  And the bank!!!!  

This morning we awoke to a genuine Dunedin-day morning - cold, crisp and clear.   I enjoyed my ride in - I'll try to keep it up over winter in spite of my aversion to riding up the hill in the dark.  I must invest in a reflective ankle strap and some AAA batteries for my bike lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment