Monday, February 25, 2013

The weekend I cannot do justice to

Hi,

I am sure I will fail woefully at describing what an amazing weekend we all had.  Friday evening I dropped Mike off at the Interislander ferry terminal where the tramping club van is parked.  No - he wasn't going south   Just collecting the van - I am sure you will hear about his tramping adventures near Whanganui.  I went to collect Toby and we had tea and snuggled in bed watching Tron Legacy.  I chatted to Mum via Facebook chat for a while which was very pleasant.

I got up early Saturday intent on doing a little bit of housework.  But I got sidetracked and not a lot of tidying happened.  I woke Toby at 9am (he has amazing powers of sleep!) and we rustled out of the house to get the WoF for the car.  There was a queue and it took ages and failed to boot.  Wonky headlights.  Hahahah.  I wasn't going to tell the chap that Mike had replaced them.  So we need to book it in for the headlight alignment and take it back.

This made us late for the movie so we rushed straight there with no breakfast.  We watched Life of Pi and enjoyed it.  We especially loved the scene with the bio luminescence in the sea at night.  And yes - our breakfast consisted of popcorn and peanut M&Ms.

Once it finished, we went back home to collect our gear for the weekend sleepover at Waikanae.  On the way up, I dropped in to get our registration pack for the Kapiti Women's Triathlon where Aidan and I had entered as a team in the duathlon.  Me cycling and Aidan running.

Then I had tuna mayo for a late lunch and a good chat with Aidan for the afternoon before she cooked up a scrumptious dinner for us.  Josh got back from his first aid course and we discussed tents.  Josh is keen on the Macpac Nautilus tent, which we have and love.  Good choice, Josh!

I took Lulu for a walk in the lovely late evening up to the blackberry patch to get my dessert. Yum.  Toby and I went to bed in the wee tent in the back yard and slept very well.

Before!
We were up early to get sorted for the race.  Josh took the boys in their Scout gear to the park to set up a sausage sizzle while Aidan and I took my bike to the start line.
Emerson with great customer service skills

Yep - we were branded

We found the Scout tent and made sure our gear was stashed there and everyone was happy.  Josh had to get away to his first aid course again so he was making sure things were running smoothly.  Josh introduced Aidan to a chap that recently joined the committee for the archery club they are keen on joining.  This coincided with her discovering she hadn't attached her iPod for her run and we were due to assemble for our start briefing.  So she was a little distracted as she met this chap, concentrating on both him and attaching her iPod.  Now, if she'd been attaching it to her shirt, perhaps it might have passed unnoticed.  But Aidan was attaching it to her sports bra under her running shirt and threading it up out the top of her shirt.  She realised at one stage that she had made the chap's eyes widen with surprise.  She likes to think it was when her hand popped out of the top of  her shirt.  But whatever it was, the man immediately said that he would ensure they get membership as soon as they can.  Perhaps Aidan has discovered a great new technique for getting what she wants from unsuspecting men.  It made us laugh as we wandered to the start line.

Aidan watching the start of my wave
We listened to the brief and I started my GPS application a minute before wave G (our wave) started its 500m run.  I am hopeless.  I was dead last at the end of that 500m.  Aidan had the good grace not to laugh at me as I jogged back to my bike and hopped on.  However, I made up for it in the cycling.  I passed loads of people and was only passed once (by some woman built like a triathlete should be built) and came in first in our group.  How chuffed was I?  Gave Aidan a high five (she wonders if she smacked me in the face but I surely don't recall that!) and she was off.

Aidan all done
I found the boys and got my camera ready at the finish line and watched Aidan run home.  We made it in 54 minutes.  Oooossshhhh!  I was very happy.  And we're planning next year already.  Aidan's course was mostly off-road and a hill or two.  She ran it just fine.  We enjoyed the medals they provided because it was the 30th anniversary of the event.

Check results here:  KWT when they come out.  We entered the Duathlon team and our team name is "Forty point nine".  And no, it is not the mean of our ages.  I would make that number a bit higher if that was the case!  Hahahah.  Think about location and you might get the name's meaning.  They might even have photos at some stage.

Off to Waikanae to get more lunch and strike the tent.  Then Toby and I were off (stuttering as Toby left his iPad there and we returned to get it).  William popped over to play and we gave him tea and sent him home and then we went to collect Mike.

So we all had a fantastic weekend.  The week looks lovely.  My ride in this morning was gorgeous!

Have a marvellous week!
Love,
Angela


No comments:

Post a Comment