Tuesday, January 26, 2016

The weekend that was long, and had Toby come back

Hi,

What an amazing weekend - it was packed full of all the things I like to do.  Camping.  Running.  Time with Mike. Time with friends.  Reading.  Poking around into new places.  Eating.  And seeing Toby again!
Iced coffee at Colonial

I caught up with Reimer in the morning and heard about his break and exchanged news.  I had an iced coffee at Colonial and it was good.



Iced goodness

We had a team lunch to celebrate Celia's birthday and a new team member starting.  Went to MoF on Bowen and it was good!  But I couldn't have another iced coffee.  Mainly because I think the first one was still mainlining through my veins!  I was jumping!

Testing Celia's selfie stick on her birthday on Friday!

Eventually I managed to haul Mike away from work and we ubered home using my second uber driver ever.  And had another clown of a driver.  Two from two.  This one didn't say boo until he came across a random breath test, and then he said it was lucky he wasn't driving drunk and that kava isn't picked up by this test and all sorts of dumb comments.

But, we got home and we were packed for the weekend within 20 minutes.  Ooossshh!  Took a bit longer to get it all in the car though.  But we were off - via the closest petrol station as we were empty.  Then we were off.

And made it to the holiday park at Paekakariki Beach easily.  Pitched the tent super fast, threw the stuff in and settled in for a chat in Gemma and Henrik's tent.  Ange was there already, and Bryce and Teri arrived just after us.  A few more arrived the next day, including Celia and James (and the girls and Zack).  We stayed up chatting until midnight.  Oooohhh.

Up late the next morning and Mike and I went to the Perched Parrot for brekkie.  Yummy.  Then off to explore Queen Elizabeth park.  We wandered around the US Marines memorial (very nicely done) and then the opening of the new bike path.  Mike rode on an old Raleigh 20 bike and then we both had a ride on an electric bike.  It went like stink!

Paekakariki beach

An old Raleigh 20 bike

Fooling on the tram tracks

We walked back to the car the long way - along the beach, up the new bike path, along a bridle track, picked blackberries, played on the tram tracks.

Then we drove to the tram museum and spent some time looking around that.  Fascinating!

I wanted an ice cream at Waikanae so we sat in slow traffic all the way there, and then decided against ice cream in favour of lunch at the Front Room.  I had a really nice chicken salad.


Iced coffee at The Front Room in Waikanae

Smile!

A juicy one for you, Mike

Steam!
 On the way back, we went to the train museum and explored the steam engines.
Nicely renovated carriages

Then I had a date with my book in the tent for a long while.  Until dinner was cooked, actually.

My view!

We had an early night and that meant I was up at a decent hour.  Mike and I went for a walk/run together.  Two minutes together and then I started running.  But I went the wrong way at the first intersection, so I passed Mike again later - much to his surprise.

Ran to the US Marines memorial and back and then explored the beach a bit.  I really have to come back here again.  It is lovely.

We packed up the tent and I convinced Mike to have lunch at a cafe on the way home.  Woot!  We then had a lazy day, waiting for Toby's plane to get in.  It was 30 minutes early so we hurtled out of the house at 11:08pm and got to the airport at 11.16pm as Toby's plane was nosing into the gate!  And Toby came out of the customs door at 11.29pm.  He must have run through!


Dubious toothpaste from Australia

Toby at Yum Cha in Sydney - looking gorgeous
Toby had such a good time in Sydney.  He loves York!  And he has some weird bacon flavoured toothpaste.  I tried it.  Not good!  He loved seeing his cousins and would go back tomorrow!  He said so!

Monday we had a lazy day.  Well, I did.  Mike went tramping by himself.  I did some housework and read lots.  Mike went to see Josh to sort out this week's activities for Toby with Emerson and Duncan!  Should be fun!

I caught the bus in this morning - first time in ages.  Dragon boating training tonight.  And Mike and Toby are tramping.

Busy, busy!  Have a wonderful day!

Love,
Angela


No comments:

Post a Comment