Friday, February 26, 2016

The Thursday with dragon boating training

Hi,

Well, work was work.  Busy.  Ever so slightly feeling a little out of control.  But nothing like the dragon boating after work.  That was a feeling of being on a roller coaster - but way wetter.

So, Celia drove me to the car park where we all park.  We warmed up and reshuffled the boat due to people not showing up.  Hopped in and mucked around in the lagoon for a while.  We weren't allowed out straight away as the rescue boat was checking conditions.  Then, the rescue boat wouldn't start.

So, we practised our starts up and down the lagoon.  Might have been a good thing.  We did get a lot in compared to usual.

Anyhow, eventually, with all the boats milling about in the lagoon, they approached us and asked us to be the first boat out.  We'd check conditions and they'd make the assessment.  I guess if we sank, the bright yellow singlets would assist in scooping us out of the water.  Hahah.

Anyhow, we went out into the harbour and immediately hooked into the large swell.  We paddled up to the sheltered start line outside Fergs and then did a start.  Turned around and then Pete asked if people were happy to stay out.  I let out a huge woot, because I was totally happy with the roller coaster effect.  You pay good money for this on the Gold Coast!

But then Pete asked if anyone was unhappy to be out there, and I heard at least one wee voice.  So I felt sorry for them.  Maybe that crazy gene of mine that likes being slightly scared was taking over.  Oops.  But we stayed out, and they called the other boats out.  No one got swamped, although we did take on a lot of water.

Had a ball!  I was sad when the hooter went and we came back to the lagoon.  Oh well.  We have two more sessions on the water next week and then the big race next Saturday.

This weekend is more fun!  BBQs and the Kapiti Womens Triathlon.  I am in a team with Philippa from our Nepal trip.  She is doing the swim leg, and I am cycling and running.  I want to go under an hour for my two legs.  I need to hammer the bike leg in order to give me some leeway with the running leg.  Running isn't really my strong point.  55 minutes would be super nice.  Let's see, eh?  I am hoping Mike will come to watch me (and Toby) and time my splits.  The official timings don't show splits.  Just the final time for the team.

Right.  Time to start the day.  Have a great weekend.

Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment