Monday, March 12, 2018

The weekend with the dragon boat race day

Hi,

I caught up with Andrew for an iced latte on Friday morning - mainly to hear about his cool plans for the weekend tramping.  He was collecting spot heights in from Holdsworth.  Sounded amazing.  I was wearing my shirt for Farmer Friday - it's a thing at work.  Like Purple Shirt Thursday.


Farmer Friday iced latte with Andrew.  Mmmmm.
But the weekend for me was all about the dragon boat race day.  Our first race was at 9.00am Saturday, and we had another 3 races before finding out if we made it to the grand final or not.  The first race was a warm up - no points allocated.  I think we came 4th in that one.

Next race was quite soon after that - and we got 1st place.  The second race we also got 1st place.  All we needed for the 3rd race was a top 3 finish and we'd likely be in the grand final. Mike watched this one.  It was tough - we came 4th in the race.  We were all a bit down.  But it turns out one of the teams wasn't in our league (all men - and Ma'a Nonu was paddling in it!) so we technically did some 3rd and we made it into the grand final in 5th place.

Ooossshhh!  You got to be in it to win it!



Serge took mighty fine photos of us!

I'm just behind Jo with the cap on.  Thanks Serge.

Me, Sam and Celia just before race 4

#gameface on.  

We're all listening

The team!


And how did we do?  I know you all want to know!  Grand Final.  Best conditions of the day.  Qualified in 5th place.  And....  we came third!  Woot, woot!  Got a bronze medal.  Best time of the day for us.  Very happy.

Mike came in to collect me and we went to see Ange's cats and fed them and gave Steel his medicine.  Ange was staying out at Martinborough for Terri and Bryce's wedding.

We then went to Makara beach and enjoyed some food and the company of friends until 11pm.

Feet at Makara


Mmmm - chippies.  Mmmm - cheese.

My feet and Mike's feet snuggle up

Fire

Selfie

My phone's camera can pick out Orion!

When we got home, we found out that Toby had no idea where we were and thought we were picking him up from Molly's house at 7pm.  We were bad parents.  I wasn't happy at the miscommunication.  Toby totally needs a phone!

Next day was navigation day for Mike - so Toby and I caught up with Sally and enjoyed Zany Zeus together.


Zany Zeus for affogato



Vanilla thickshake
Toby and I popped into Queensgate for a bit before collecting my bike and some photos and heading home.  Relaxed for the most of the rest of the day.  Got a headache - suspect dehydration was to blame.

But, what an amazing weekend.  Celia and Matt got the best out of the team.  I counted up my training hours - 11 over the season.  I really, really enjoy the challenge of it all.

Have an incredible week.

Love,
Angela









No comments:

Post a Comment