Monday, March 22, 2021

The weekend in Martinborough for Mike's second half marathon

 Hi,

Happy birthday to Sally

What an amazing effort by Mike and Janine this weekend.  Let me tell you all about it.

Work BBQ Friday Fry-yay

BBQ weather, for sure!

First up we had a team BBQ at work on Friday.  I called the meeting "Fry-yay".  Hahah.  Mum jokes.  But it was a lovely team thing to do.  


Headed home after work - Mike actually waited for me at Lambton Quay as I rushed to the bus from work.  He's so lovely.

I ended up jumping on the 14 just ahead of Mike's stop.  It was a quiet bus - luckily.  We packed super fast - 30 mins and done!  Oosshh!.

Janine arrived at we threw her gear in the car with ours, and two bikes on the back and then we were off.

Arrived around 7.30pm ish.  Went to Cafe Medici for dinner.  Then dropped Janine at her flatmate's house and headed to Top10.  

The Top10 unit was lovely.  Pretty new.  Just a clean, tidy cabin with one double bed.  But the place just worked.

Up early for the race and drove to Janine's place.  Walked into town (10 mins, if that) and picked up the registration pack at 9am.  With time to kill before 10.15am start time, we went to Village Cafe.  But they had technical difficulties and no hot brekkie.  So I had a date scone (yum) and an iced latte.

This face says:  what are you doing, Mike?

Pre race warm ups

Back to the start line at 10am and the count down to the kick off.  Pretty soon they were both off.

And they're off!

First loop

Turns out the route took them right by the Top10.  So I was able to see them for both their loops quite easily.  They ran right through the vineyard behind the Top10.


Looking good!

Second loop - the mahi is a bit harder

Mike looked quite sore by the time he did his second loop past me.  For the first 5km he was running a fast pace - 12 km/hr.  But by the time I saw him on the second loop, with about 3km to go, he was a bit slower.
And done!  PB!  2.09 on my stopwatch.

But he finished the race just as I got to the finish line from the Top10.  As I stepped across to see where he was, he ran across.  Good timing.


Guzzling down the water



Janine wasn't far behind - and she had consumed a few wines along the way too.  Epic effort from her.


Back to relax at Top10 and then met Janine for a beer at the brewery and then pizza at the pizza place.  That was such a lovely meal.  I will go back there.  Stefan from my old work was there having a meal so we chatted to him at the end.

Walked back to fall into a coma at the Top10.  Up and checked out the next morning and off to collect Janine.  Brekkie at Village Cafe - and they had a hot brekkie this time.  Woot!


Sunday morning iced latte

Drizzly rain meant we decided on no cycling but visited the Parkvale mushrooms place.  A young man called Anthony showed us the main mushroom growing place.  Layers of them.  I like the smell of the earthiness of it all.

Parkvale mushrooms

I see me!

Mushrooms everywhere - layers of them

Home just after midday and Mike sorted out the last of the insulation under the house.  I did some much needed laundry too.

Smudge looks back

Moxley finds her inner kitten here

Off to whanau dinner after grocery shopping and cooking mushroom Wellington.  Caught up with people.  Good fun and scrumptious dinner and dessert as usual.



Whanau post kai coma

The week looms large.  Tuesday night Indian cooking course with Mike tomorrow.  Bit more Spin and gym, I think.

Toby seems happy still.  We only hear from him about the cats.  :-|

Have a good week.
Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment