Monday, March 29, 2021

The weekend with tramping for me and Mike

 Hi,

Mike was off on Friday after work to the Ruahines and Sunrise hut and other walking.  With a bunch of people from Meet Up.  He had a great time.

Hoodie

My weekend was boot camp and a day walk on Sunday.  

Boot camp is normally in Frank Kitts park - and in wet weather we use the underground carpark there where the market used to be.  But today it was locked.  So we decided to use the verandah at TSB.  First time there in ages.

I always park there.  But paying was always a nightmare as it is coin operated and who has coins?  But on Saturday, as I was doing the shuttle running warm up, I noticed a parking attendant about to take a photo of my car.

Oh no.  I leaned over the railing and said:  That's my car.  Is it too late to pay?

And he sighed, and said okay.  Phew!  Ran to fish out some some money and oddly found some $1 and a $2 in the bottom of my handbaglet.

Finished the boot camp session

Pride parade was on - so we had quite a few punters for that watching us go through our routines as they waited under cover before it all kicked off.  One woman even joined in and Joel was quick to give her a few pointers.

Back home to chill in the sun and read - with the cats.

Smudge

Saturday trio in the sun

Up early Sunday and Andrew and Janine met at our place and we headed to Waikanae bakery for brekkie ahead of the Kapakapanui loop.  Never been up there before.  Janine was keen to find a hidden hut - possum hut.  Not too far from the top - about 900m.

Brekkie @ Olde Bakery in Waikanae

What have I got myself in for?

Nice place to walk

The walk starts with a small section of farmland and then several river crossings so my trail shoes were sloshing with water right from the start.  If you take the right hand fork at the junction (anti clockwise loop) you are straight into a steep climb. You are climbing a sharp ridge from about 160m to 1100m.  The uphill was relentless and I had no energy.  My heart rate was always up around 150 - 170.  My poor heart.  The others were way faster than me.

Getting close to the top, at around 900m, there is a tree hanging over the track with an orange marker on it.  From there, you head off to the left and the hut is about 50m away - down a bit.  So close.

Janine so happy to find the hut

The hut is in dire condition.  Door is caved in.  No windows.  Andrew found the log book and it was a waterlogged mass of pulpy paper.  The water tank had a hole in it about 4 cm from the bottom.

At the top

Continued on up, up, up.  Got to the tops and had a decent view out to Kapiti.  Cloud ceiling was just above us - luckily.

View to Kapiti Island

Goblin forest

Kapakapanui hut

Last crossings before the car

Back down from the hut to the car was 2 - 3 hours on the sign at the hut - and we did it in 2 hours and 1 minute.  Phew!  And it was a lot of down.  Also steep.  My right knee is now complaining about that treatment.  But it is just tender - not sore.  Thank goodness.

Back to the car and changed for the ride home.   We were late getting to the car (because of me) and didn't leave until 5pm.  I decided to head home in my undies - to cool down mainly.  But it did mean I got cold in the air con, so I had to pull my jeans halfway up. But that just looked weird. Because of our slightly late getaway, we asked Helen if Janine could stay for tea as we had no time to drop her anywhere. Helen said yes and I think Janine was happy for a home cooked meal.  

Yummy carrot loaf from Alison Holst.  Mmmm.  And although I said I would remember a comment for the blog - I cannot remember it now.  Doh!  Yummy dessert from Marion.  And did the dishes and headed home.

Mike had got home early - like 4pm or something.  So that was nice to see him there.  Washed my dirty clothes, jumped in the shower and was asleep super fast.

Up to a rainy morning.  Went to the gym.  Back home to work here for the day.

Short week!  Easter is coming.  Woot!

Take care.

Love,

Angela


No comments:

Post a Comment