Monday, October 4, 2021

The weekend with skiing and AFL

 Hi,

What a great weekend - I am so pleased Mike and Janine convinced me to come up for the Saturday.  And that Andrew decided to tag along.  I wouldn't have been keen if it was just me driving back late on Saturday.  But with Andrew deciding to do the day trip with me, it was all on.

Up at 3.20am and in the shower to wake me up.  Mike and I were on the road by 4am.  Headed up SH1 followed by Janine and Andrew not too far behind us.  Mike got petrol at Levin and scrubbed the windscreen as it was smeary.  It was a much easier drive after that.


Dawn at Peach Teats

We met up at Ohakune and moved our ski gear into Janine's car and Andrew drove us up the hill.  We were stopped for a bit low down as they managed the car parks.  Level 2 Delta means the mountain could only take half the usual punters.

But we were up and on Movenpick before 9am.  Janine stayed at base to wait for the firm conditions to thaw a bit.  Good call as my first few runs were a bit yucky.  My skis are great in powder and heavy crud.  But when it is firm pack, I am nowhere near aggressive enough to make them work.  They clatter around like the chicken riding them lets them.  Or something.

But by 11am the snow was softening and we could ski anywhere.  And it was superb.  Totally the best.

The 3.30am start was a bit much for Mike

Bluebird

Water break

Working?

Andrew looking relaxed

Selfie

Who is that masked man?

We didn't stop for lunch or anything.  On our last run we somehow all got split up but Andrew and I ended up on High Noon for the last run of the day.  Brilliant.

Meanwhile on Sunday Mike headed into tiger country.
Can you spot Amy?
Can you spot Amy's ski?


Got down to the car by 4.30pm.  Andrew and I switched over the the Subaru in Ohakune, got an eclair and set off at 5.30pm.  The drive down to Wellington was easy - no delays at all.  I dropped Andrew home by 9pm.

Fed the cats when I got home and fell asleep pretty fast.

Cats on the bed

Up for a shower and brekkie before AFL.  We played as the Saints - which wasn't expected.  But we won - so there is that!  

After the game.  The young woman towering next to me turns 15 next week

Got my WAFL hoodie

Back home and watched some movies before Mike got home around 9.30pm.  He also had a good drive back after another awesome day on the mountain.

Up Monday to find out Quentin isn't well after a poor sleep - so no PT for me this morning.  Misty day of light rain out there.  No wind.

Hope your day is a good one.  And the week holds good things in store.

Love,
Angela


No comments:

Post a Comment