Monday, March 14, 2011

The weekend with no Toby or Mike

Hi,

Mike and Toby left for Ruapehu on Friday afternoon/evening and I had the weekend to myself.  Friday I spent reading and watching some movies before Sally rang to say Japan had just experienced a huge earthquake and a tsunami warning was in effect for much of the Pacific.  I ran downstairs to confirm on the television and sure enough, the devastation was shocking.  Watching helicopter footage of tsunami waves sweeping through the landscape was distressing.  And Hawaii, in particular, Waikiki was under a warning and had sirens going off on the hour. 

And of course, you know exactly where Mum and Dad were, don't you?  Bang on the foreshore of Waikiki Beach.  I sent an email to them, and then chatted to Sally and Karen.  They recommended contacting the hotel.  So I did and felt much better after I chatted to Mum and Dad and found them relaxed and informed.  Mum had said they needed to pack, but Dad was adamant if they had to flee though the streets, the suitcases were not coming!

Turns out Hawaii did get reasonable waves hitting them, but Waikiki hotels were not hit by them.  An earthquake locally may have troubled them a little, but Mum and Dad didn't feel that!  Staying up to see what happened probably ruined my mother's jet lag progress.  She's probably back on Aus time again!

I fell asleep on the couch watching the disaster unfold and woke when the waves were due to hit Hawaii.  Saw everything was ok and went to sleep in my bed!

Saturday morning Mike had volunteered me to help set up the Wadestown Fair.  So I walked there and chatted to Fiona (the neighbour with her stall) and got a good price for her first sale.  Put up some streamers all over the park and walked home.  Read all afternoon, and cooked up some lamb korma.

Then I got ready for Christine's party at the Penthouse Cinema.  I squeezed into a dress and wore proper shoes.  It was 40s glamour as a theme and whilst for me I was pretty glamorous, I doubt anyone else would have noticed.  Heheheheh.  I collected Vivienne who was looking glamorous herself (and had nice red lipstick as 40s women seemed to have exclusively).  We ate nibblies and chatted before heading up to watch Casablanca.  What a great movie.  We even got chocolate hokeypokey icecreams as we entered.

Home to bed around 8:45pm.  Pretty good, eh?  I read for a bit and fell asleep!

Sunday I spent reading in earnest to make up for the activity on Saturday that ate into quality reading time!  I like to think I did make it up.  I finished one book and started another.

Then the boys came home and ate the lamb korma I cooked yesterday!  I heard all about their adventures and I am sure you will too - soon! 

Have a great week.
Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment