Thursday, March 31, 2011

6/10 this morning, 2/10 yesterday! (The 2 is just for turning up)

You'll remember that Tuesday was "forgot my shirt and wallet and had to borrow money and buy a shirt" day.

Well, as Angela said, yesterday was an even huger morning disaster.  It all started pretty well, I was at work relatively early, on time for my morning meeting and looking forward to my morning coffee.

Until I knocked over my plunger, just as the meeting was starting, and sent hot coffee and coffee grounds everywhere.  Over the table, over me, over the carpet.  Only redeeming feature was that I missed all the IT equipment.

So after an embarrassed session cleaning up and trying to dry the carpet out, I had an awkward hour sitting in wet, steaming clothes, running through options on how to fix things.  Did I head out and buy a new outfit?  I do need to buy a suit (still! - Karen & Scotty, remember our aborted mission in Sydney?)  But that would be quite expensive, and I'd need to wait for a suit anyway.  Do I go home?  I'd ridden in, so timewise a taxi would be the only option.  Expensive.  But cheaper than quickly buying a change of clothes?  On balance, yes.

So off I went, and drove back in with new clothes and (I'm learning my lesson now) emergency shirt and emergency pants.

During the cleanup I was conscious that my ankle hurt a bit - the coffee had run down my leg and onto my sock and soaked in.  But when I got home I discovered I had a huge blister and more skin that kindof fell off around it.  Now I've got a great big burn.  Feels alright, I'm putting aqueous cream on it and letting it breathe.  Angela thinks it's bad, but I reckon it'll heal up okay.  Injury to insult though.

Today I was extra careful to pack everything I needed.  Ironed and de-linted shirt and two pairs of pants (for more emergencies).  But I still made it to my bike before I found I hadn't actually put that shirt in my bag.  And now I've discovered that I don't have my work shoes here - so I'm slobbing around in my bike shoes.

Tomorrow I bring emergency shoes.  Then, the only thing I won't have is emergency underpants.  Watch this space...!

No comments:

Post a Comment