Monday, April 2, 2012

The weekend with tramping

Hi,

Our Friday was very pleasant - Mike and I caught the bus home together and we had dinner and packed for my tramping weekend.

Up early on Saturday and John nipped past to collect me and take me to the train station with Vivienne and Benjamin.  Ta John!  We hopped into the club van after meeting all the punters (well, almost all).  We collected Andrew along the way in Yingjie's place and another punter called Margaret from Upper Hutt.

The tramping was great fun!  The weather held out and we didn't get wet at all.  Vivienne and I stopped to get out our jackets at one stage and the rain promptly stopped.  We walked in about 1 kilometre to the road end as the ford was washed out and the club van might not respond well to being dropped off the ford into a big hole!  We headed up a hill almost immediately and eventually had lunch on the top.  After a bit of up and down along the ridge at the top we started along down part to the hut.  Took at 4.5 hours into Sayers Hut and we claimed the bunks. 

There was a seven year old boy there when we got there with his family bagging huts.  Sayers was his 40th Tararua hut!  Wow!  It was my second!  We got some firewood and started dinner early.  I was pretty sleepy and was in bed by 8.15pm!  My sleep was fitful and I heard Vivienne bang the wall and mutter "rats" at one point.  Heheheh.  Benjamin slept in the bivvy bag for its first use!  Good on him!

Up and had my horrible breakfast!  Powered milk on Weetbix.  Yuck.  Not having that breakfast again.  One girl had boiled eggs (pre boiled) and I like that idea!  We were away by 9.30am!  The climb up was hard going!  Phew!  But once back up on the tops it was fine!  At the van by 2pm and enjoying the drive back in the sunshine and with a pleasantly tired body.

Mike and Toby had fun over the weekend.  Toby was just getting back from swimming and we got him dressed in his school uniform and away for the Easter service at St John's in town.  Home by 8.30pm and to bed!  I was asleep by the time Mike got back from dropping his mother off!

The week looms ahead - but a short one due to Easter.  Toby's holidays start then too for two weeks!

Have a great week!
Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment