Monday, October 1, 2012

The weekend with a wonderful ski day


Hi,

Happy birthday today to Dad!  I hope he has a great day!  Woo hoo!

What a great weekend. I got home just after 8 pm on Friday and caught up with the boys before bed. Up at 3.30 am to jump in the car and collect Amy and Andrew for a fantastic day skiing at Turoa.

We got to the mountain in good time. The day was mostly fine; it would clag in from time to time. I had a spectacular fall down a wee steep cliff when I followed Andrew down a double black diamond run. I had to edge to keep from falling over a rocky cliff. So fear meant I edged super well and ended up far too high. My top ski got wedged forward and my bottom ski had no weight on it and was flailing around in mid air. Nice. Stuck. Andrew was just below me and giving advice. Ha ha. If I could stand up on my top ski I'd be back on the piste above our run. No hope.



Trying to dig my bottom ski in finally kicked my top ski out and I fell to where Andrew was just below me.  I thought I was going to take him out and my weight went backwards and I kept going.  Andrew said it looked good as I somersaulted a few times before sliding the rest of the 15m down to to the bottom of the gully.  Lucky the snow was so soft and I'd cleared the rocky cliff part.  I had to kick steps up the steep face to retrieve my skis.  Oh dear.

Later on, Andrew had a great can out too.  He was going fast in lovely soft snow (we were making first tracks to the far skier right on the boundary) when his tips dug in and flipped him at speed into the snow face first.  His goggles came off as well as his glasses.  Luckily Amy found them quickly and we collected his skis and we all took off again.

This last fantastic run ended in a 300m walk out.  But it was well worth it for the lovely snow and solitude.  It did tucker us out though.  Andrew got another run in while Amy and I relaxed in the car.

We had a good drive home and I caught up with Mike (Toby was having a sleepover).  I even got a nice breakfast cooked for me Sunday morning (Mike made superb omelettes).  Tidied the house a bit (I am useless at housework - it is so boring) and then off to buy a replacement headlight bulb and new sheets for the spare bed.  Then to Sally and Andrew's place while Mike and Andrew went to Andrew's parents' place to help with solar panels on the roof.  Then we all met there for tea and home to bed.

Mike's mother is here to look after Toby this week.  I think Toby is very happy.  Yay!

Have a wonderful day!
Love,
Angela



No comments:

Post a Comment