Monday, September 7, 2015

The weekend away skiing

Hi,

We've decided to postpone Fathers Day because we were up at the mountain for it.  But I think Mike had a good time, nevertheless.

Friday we left relatively late for a ski weekend trip.  Mike came and collected me and Toby from home on the way out.  I say next to some Chinese students and chatted away to them for most of the trip up.  Lu, Ming and Eric.  Toby was in front of me and watched a movie on the laptop until it ran out of battery.

We had dinner in Levin and then drove up.  We got out of the van just after Scoria Flat on the way up the hill and Mike realised why the steering was getting twitchy.  It was sheet black ice on the road.  We put the chains on and then got up without any hassles.  We dumped all the gear close by and Toby led newbies up the hill to the lodge.  Mike and I went to park the van and Mike was so worried now the van was lighter and the ice was slicker.  We parked when the van decided to stop slipping.  Yikes!

Next morning was a stunning morning.  No clouds.  No wind.  Beautiful snow.  Off piste was icy - new snow during the week has frozen.  It looked perfect, but it was ice.  But the trails were perfect.

I skied by myself all day.  First on the Waterfall T and then when the far west opened, I scooted over there and stayed there all day.

Selfie on Waterfall T

Selfie on the west quad runs

Clagged in for 2 minutes

Had a great time, although I wished I was skiing with someone.  The snow was perfect and there was no wind.  The singles queue at the west quad chair went fairly fast.  I tracked my skiing for two runs and found I hit a top speed of 43 km/hr (it wasn't very steep where I was skiing) and my run was 1 km long and took me three minutes.  Oh!  I was astonished that it only took me three minutes to get down my run.  It made the 15 mins in the queue look like crazy behaviour.  I need a mid week ski holiday!




Saturday night entertainment


Back to the lodge around 4pm and dinner was ready.  Yummy lasagne.  What a treat!  And then I wasn't far off bed really.  Chatted to Sarah a bit.  Ilske worked like a crazy woman in the kitchen tidying up and was getting a bit sick and went to bed.

Next morning was Father's Day and the Chinese contingent decided to make a special breakfast for Mike and the other fathers.  They were up all hours making dumplings.  Yum!

Happy Fathers Day

After breakfast (I ate so much) we tidied up, packed up the van and left at about 11.45am.  It was snowing quite hard by then and they had closed the mountain.

Driving down the mountain in a blizzard


The drive home was nice and fast and we were home in good time to do the chores for the week.  Yay for chores.  Not!

Right.  Time to start my day.  Busy at work today.  A new team member is starting.

Have an awesome week.

Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment