Tuesday, April 19, 2016

The weekend in Auckland

Hi,

Today is a happy birthday for Vince!  Woot!

What an amazing weekend!  Mike drove me home after a drink or two after work on Friday.  Steph was keen to catch up.  Mike packed for his weekend and we got burgers from Burger Wisconsin.  Ange joined us for the dinner and then kindly dropped us off at the airport.

We caught the late flight up to Auckland and got our shuttle bus to the Apex car rental place and grabbed our car and headed off to Whenuapai.  We got to Lesley and Wally's place around 11 and we weren't too long out of bed.

Hannah slept in the lounge to give up her bed for us.  And the next morning we left with her to take her and her friend (Abby - we collected her from town) to the airport.  Mike dropped me off at the archery shop and I bought a bow with my birthday money!

New bow!  Very happy!

Should see me right for a while!


The woman in the shop watched me shoot a bit too and gave me some tips.  My bow is around 28# weight.  Should see me right for quite a while.  Just need to head out to the range a bit now.

Iced coffee #1 - I forget where

I met up with Roz and Anne at The Library cafe in Onehunga.  We chatted away and caught up on each other's news.

Iced coffee #2 The Library Cafe

We watched Anne ride off on Angus (I covet Angus - he's a Yamaha R6) and Roz and I wandered around finding presents and looking for my boys.

Eventually I found both and said goodbye to Roz and we were off to Jack's party.  We had a great time there.  Toby had a nerf fight and then a swim.  Mike joined in the nerf fight - but not the swim.  We helped a bit with preparing food.  And then I ate - constantly - the entire time.  From around 2pm to when we had dinner with the family at about 6pm.

Eventually we headed off back to Whenupai and then it was karaoke night.  We all started out, but by 11.30pm it was just me, Wally and Lesley left.  And we may have continued until around 12.30am.  Hahah.  It was such fun!
Karaoke night!


The rain had set in by Sunday.  But the next morning we cooked breakfast and packed up.  We left Whenupai and headed to the airport.  Toby flew out to meet Gramps at Brisbane airport and then up to Peregian Springs to visit.  Tyler and Abby are there, so he should be having a lot of fun.


Bye Toby!

I was wondering if karaoke had made my throat a bit a scratchy.  It wasn't too bad, but I could just feel it a little sore.

From the airport, Mike and I drove out to Half Moon Bay near Bucklands Beach.  I visited our old house in Glennandrew Drive.
8 Glennandrew Drive

Far fancier garage!

The park has huge trees!

From there we caught the 4pm vehicular ferry to Waiheke Island and found our apartment on Onetangi Beach.  It was lovely.  We watched television and ate yummy cheese and crackers.

Next morning my throat was a little worse.  Uh oh!  But I went for a lovely run up and down the beach.  Heaven!

Mike joined me for brekkie and an iced coffee.  Mmmm.  The smell outside in the cafe was awful so eventually we headed inside.  Apparently they were cleaning something out somewhere close by.



Iced coffee #3?  I am losing count

Muesli!

Walking with Mike on Onetangi Beach

After a walk with Mike after breakfast we checked out of our room and drove up to Stony Batter.  Had a lovely walk up there.  There are WWII tunnels - but they were closed.  Shame.

A concrete missile!

Not sure why this cut out soldier was here

Scenery is lovely

Stunning day

Climbing out of the gun pit

View out to the Coromandel

From here we went back to the beach and read all afternoon under a huge pohutukawa.
Our Monday afternoon under a Pohutukawa - reading!

However, when we got up to leave, Mike got a migraine.  We stopped to get Neurophen for him and then waited for our ferry.  Headed to the airport in peak traffic but our plane was delayed so we had stacks of time.

Mike tried Carls Jr burgers and thought they were ok.  My burger was actually really good.  By now my cold had kicked in and my nose was dribbling my sinuses out!  Hahahah.

In fact, on the flight home, one of the hosties looked at me and asked how far I had travelled today.  I must have looked jet lagged.  "Oh yes - I have come all the way from Waiheke Island".  Not exactly a long way.  Hahahah.

Caught a taxi back home and slept like a zombie.  How do zombies sleep?  Not sure.  But I slept well.

Short week this week.  I have Friday off too.  Heading to Sunshine Coast for some fun in the sun with Toby and my family.

Have a cool week!

Love,
Angela


No comments:

Post a Comment