Tuesday, October 18, 2016

The weekend with Toby in Martinborough

Hi,

Ok - turns out I was sick on Monday.  So that's why there was no blog.  :-p  But my weekend with Toby was great fun.  We got home on the same bus together on Friday after my work.  Toby's bus comes past The Terrace bus stop outside my work at 3:59pm.  Which is almost when I finish work.  So I jumped on his bus and he had a free seat next to him, so we rode home together.

I finished packing and getting the three bikes on the back of the car.  I gave Toby a bit of time to get some game time in with his mates.  Then around 6pm we were off.  I got him Maccas for tea in Petone and popped into the supermarket there to grab a few things.

By 7.30pm we were settling into the house in Martinborough.  And what a lovely wee place it was!  Toby turned on the TV and watched hours of drivel.  I went to bed, intending to get up early for a long road ride.

But the next morning it was raining - heavily.  A break around 7.30 convinced me it was still a good plan, and I got the last things ready and stepped out to get on my bike when it chucked it down even harder.  For 3.5 more hours.

When Toby got up, we watched an episode of CHiPs on TV.  Some channel was showing all the old TV shows.

Eventually we just went to find lunch in town.  Riding our bikes.  Watching my son wobble down streets with the prospect of traffic coming at him was very scary.  He needs more practise.

We got back to the hosue to relax for a bit and then drove to the south Wairarapa coast road.  Parked the car and headed along the gravel road to the DoC campsite.  We found Celia, James and everyone else in Mike's cycling party - except Mike.  He had piked due to the cold weather.  We delivered some dry firewood and bacon and chatted away.  Toby cooked some bacon over their campfire.

Then we headed back.  It was lots of fun.  Although hearing your son crash into gravel behind you wasn't that much fun.  I turned around and hurried back and as I approached, he looked up from under his bike and gave a thumbs up.  Phew - not to injured then.




Gravel road
Enjoying ourselves

Took the bike off him and saw his grazed knee.  Unfortunately what I couldn't see was his bruised hip and forearm gravel rash.  I saw that later.

Gravel rash

But he was very stoic.  And he got back on and his wee legs (ok, large, long legs) pedalled furiously back to the car, not much worse for the wear.

Almost full moon gorgeousness

Back home and we relaxed again with The Muppets movie before I went to bed.

Next morning I stayed in the house, reading and having a good time doing nothing.  But we had to vacate by midday, so I got Toby out of bed and we packed up and tidied and left.

Don't smile for Mum

Give me the phone back


Iced coffee at Cafe Medici
 We had lunch at Cafe Medici and then drove back over the hill to Wellington.  I got my housework done for the week and sorted out a few things.

But - turns out I was sick on Monday and had the day off.  Boo!  Back at work today though.    I did have to collect Toby from school at lunch time because he was sick too.

Hopefully everything is back to normal now.  Bring on the week!

Have a great day.  Don't have an emergency though as the junior docs are on strike at the hospitals.

Love,
Angela



No comments:

Post a Comment