Monday, May 4, 2009

Good morning on Mon, May 4

Hi,

I have no idea why the weather god (I think it is called Huey) smiled on us. The weekend was bookended by downpours (they stopped early Friday I think as most of Friday was good) and I woke at 4am this morning to a hammering on the roof! But we had a superb weekend tramping out to Paua Hut in the Orongoronga Valley. Sue was our leader and Toby obviously liked her style as she got a hug at the end.

The highlight for me was on the way in I passed a fresh green liana vine on the left snaking its way into the track at about Toby height. The people in front had hit it and it was swaying just like a snake (and the right shades of green and brown) and I was just about to turn to Toby just on my left to say "This looks just like a snake" when Toby looked up and came face-to-face with the reptile. The squeal he gave out and the great leap backwards was astonishing. He was sure he was about to get eaten by the fierce snake. He was a bit bashful afterwards about his girly squeal but I told him it meant he had great reflexes!

The river wasn't too high after the 5 days of solid rain and we linked up to cross the river for practise more than anything else.

The three of us pitched the tent and we were cozy that night. Toby did creep up over my head during the night and I found a lot more space at the bottom of the tent to sleep peacefully in. Dinner was a great variation on macaroni cheese. Toby loved toasting marshmallows.

Sunday was another lovely day - the morning was especially beautiful. We were back home by 1400 and Mike tidied up the messy house while I went and got some groceries to see us through the week.

I think we're coming to Mum and Dad's for tea tonight. Mike may be busy (the project has imploded and poor Mike has his hands full) so it might be just me and Toby. I'll ride home at 1700 and drive to Mum and Dad's with Toby.

Not too sure what the week holds. Mike will be busy. We have table tennis on Thursday and tramping club on Wednesday night. I think that's about it.

Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment