Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Fun commuting

I'm back on my bike again, and it feels really good. The Wellington weather is most unusual at the moment, it's staying fine and still right into Autumn which is normally the worst season for wind and rain. (I'm not 100% happy about this - it's going to be a dreadful ski season at this rate. There's a dark lining to every fluffy cloud.)

The ride in this morning was quite bizarre. The cars were all courteous and well behaved - which was just as well, because the pedestrians and other cyclists were very erratic. I saw lots and lots of bikes and people wandering across the road in front of cars, stepping out from the curb in spite of trucks and vans bearing down on them, and generally being in worlds of their own.

But mostly they left me alone, or kindof noticed me at the last minute and got out of my way.

Except for one.

It was beautiful.

A woman wandered across Boulcott Street in a world of her own, right in front of me, without even a glance to see if there was anything coming. Now, in situations like this, I don't yell angry words. Instead, I try to give the impression of total impending disaster, just narrowly averted by my quick wits and lightining fast reflexes. (Due to my slow wits and terrible reflexes, these have to be planned well in advance.)

So I was able to get nice and close to her, and then jam on my brakes, get a nice fishtail going with my back wheel - and let out a loud scream of abject terror and fear, six inches away from her left ear. Oh, it was a joy to behold. She looked up, her eyes grew wide, and she bolted for the footpath screaming.

Job done. I'm in a great mood now, this morning. Time for a coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment