Thursday, May 6, 2010

Good morning on Thurs, May 6

Hi,

Another gorgeous morning in Wellington.  What a great bike ride down the hill.  It's much better avoiding the traffic generated by the school drop-offs.  Some woman in a green jeep turned right in front of me yesterday morning, into her posh street overlooking the harbour.  What part of my garish day-glo jacket, blinking front light and flapping green ribbon did she not see?

Anyhow, today was a great ride in.  No one cut me off and the traffic lights were friendly.

Mike and Toby are still wandering around the house dazed.  I rang twice this morning and I am unsure whether Mike had progressed at all in getting ready inbetween calls.  I wonder what time he'll get in?  I guess he'll get ready in a rush at the end and be on time.  One of the reasons I called was to tell Mike I had some security tape to cordon off the crumbling cliff face this weekend at Paua Hut.  There is a cliff being eroded away by the river far below, and having lots of kids aroound it makes us nervous.  Mike priced a roll of security tape at $60 but thought it was still worth investing.  As I rode into the driveway at work this morning, I saw a chap painting the pillars outside work.  He had "wet paint" tape wrapped around to stop mad pedestrians from walking into the pillars.  So I went over and said I had a strange request for him.  I explained about the cliff and asked if I could have some of his tape.  I'd be willing to pay for it (I had no idea at that stage it cost $60 a roll!).  He asked how much I needed and I looked at what he had put out and said "twice as much as this".  So he took me to his van and gave me some recycled tape from a previous job.  How nice of him!  I was chuffed and rang Mike to let him know.

Mike worked late yesterday getting lots of things done (bills paid, emails sent) before tramping club.  He told me I had missed one of the best talks in ages.  Some chap talking about his 17 month walk around the lesser known Inca Trail paths.  No photos - just anecdotes about various things he encountered.  Sounded great.

I didn't get task 2 done at all on Toby's bed changing project plan.  But I did get 80% packed for the tramp for me and Toby.  That has a time frame to work to, so I thought it better use of my time.

Ma and Dad came over and Dad took Toby to karate.  Just before they left, Ma started cooking tea and she ran out of gas.  We use the 9kg gas cyliners for our gas hob and it runs out about twice a year or so.  Ok, here's the funny thing.  It only ever runs out when Mum is cooking.  Given she cooks usually once a week at our place, it does seem odd for it to run out only when she is here.  She is wondering if we actually cook at all now.  So, two weeks back she was starting to cook when the gas ran out.  So Mike quickly grabbed the bottle we use on our BBQ and attached that and she was up and cooking with gas (groan) quickly.  But of course, it wasn't full.  So despite us using the gas the last two weeks, when does it decide to run out?  Last night when Mum was cooking!

It makes me laugh.

Maybe you had to be there.  And by that I mean be there the last three times (or maybe even four) when the gas has run out when Ma was cooking.

I'm sniggering even now.

Anyhow, it is table tennis night tonight.  And I published this before I finished off.  How silly of me.  I'm looking forward to it.

Have a great day!
Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment