Monday, March 17, 2014

The weekend with a cyclone

Hi,

Pretty good weekend despite the dire weather warnings.  In fact, I think we might have hit our highest temperature of the summer on Sunday.  I saw 25C on the weather website.  And it was so close to 100% humidity it wasn't funny.  Weird weather.  This tropical cyclone has pulled down some warm, moist air from the equator.

Friday we went to see Vivienne, John and Benjamin for some much needed Friday takeaways.  Mmmmm.  Indian.  It was good.  Mike hit the wall at about 8.30pm and had found a quiet corner downstairs to close his eyes for just a moment and perhaps if John hadn't gone looking for him, we might have stayed for ages longer with me chatting to Vivienne and John completely oblivious.

Saturday I was up ferrying breakfast to my boys.  After 4 bits of toast each Mike cheekily said he'd like bagels with smoked salmon and cream cheese and could I just pop out to the supermarket to get it all for him?  I showed him!  I found the bagels in the freezer and gave him a gourmet pastrami on bagels with capers and cracked pepper.  He was amazed.

Off to the day spa for my appointment and then I caught up with Aidan. She was in town for work - yes - on a Saturday!  But she had just finished so we were footloose and fancy free for a bit.  She wanted lunch and some shoe shopping.  I was psychologically prepared for the shoe shopping.  I think.  Hahahah.

We went to Lido and I haven't been there for years and years.  And I was a bit disappointed.  Their iced coffee wasn't too bad, mind you.  Maybe a 7.  Minus a half point for the copious cinnamon on top.  But add it back on for the good mix of cream and ice cream.  Anyhow, Aidan likes cinnamon and scraped a fair bit off for me.
Aidan went a bit mad with the iced coffee photos.  Apparently my eyes were shut for most of them!

Off to the shoe shop next door and I observed Wellington women seem to shop for shoes in pairs.  No!  Not pairs of shoes.  Pairs of women!  And you, as the non shoe buying partner, have to say things like "This colour is so easy to wear". Or "This would go so well with your jacket".  Or stuff like that.  I'm practising.  Aidan might one day appreciate my shoe shopping banter. Ummmm.  If she ever invites me shoe shopping again.  Anyhow, in spite of the inadequacies of her shoe shopping companion, Aidan found some very nice shoes.  

Then it was my turn!  I found the best pair of sneakers ever!  Purple ones.  Awesome!  The shoe salesman was a bit of a lark too.  I really almost just bought them because he was so funny.  He told me at one point that Mike had called him earlier in the day to say he really liked the purple ones too.  Hahahah.  

Back home and getting the laundry done was the highest priority for the rest of the day.  Vivienne came and collected me at 5.30pm and we went to see Vampire Academy.  Ok.  I admit it.  It was pretty rubbish.  But I think my main issue was with the two main actresses.  It was actually quite faithful to the book.  Vivienne may think twice when I ask her to the movies again.  Or at least until the memory fades.

Sunday up early to head to the market with Vivienne and Ramble.  The rain had put people off but I was in my t-shirt and wishing I had my sunglasses.  Nice coffee with Vivienne, nice broccoli and back home to relax.  Mike had a migraine during the night and found the day a bit of a struggle.  I read on the couch for a lot of it before preparing the veges for dinner and herding us out the door.  Mike dug out the steps next door during his afternoon.

Family dinner was so yummy.  I am still full!  The chocolate cheesecake and birthday cake was scrumptious.  It's Sally's birthday next weekend!  And Aidan's today (the Aidan attached to the Sally and Andrew part of my life, not the shoe shopping fiend!)!  Happy birthday Aidan!

Time to tackle the week.  Have a wonderful week!  Busy, busy.  I know.

Love,
Angela


No comments:

Post a Comment