Monday, March 24, 2014

The weekend with date night

Hi,

What a lovely, relaxing weekend.  I could do with more of those at the end of each week.  Very pleasant. Friday night we had Hayley come around for dinner.  She is a little gluten intolerant so we found some gluten free lasagne and made two lots of lasagne.  Gluten free and glutinous.  Emerson and Duncan came direct from school with Toby so they were all there when I got home.  Aidan joined us after she dropped Josh off at Battle Hill for his Scout weekend camping.


Mike and Hayley

We sat around chatting for a while.  Aidan had some good advice for Hayley and her PhD work.  Great fun!  I loved the cheese board.  Mmmmmm.

Saturday morning Mike got up and ferried me and Toby breakfast.  That was yummy.  Marmite on toast.  Eventually we got out of bed.  We had some tasks to do during the day.  We arranged a sleep over for Toby with Isaac so Mike and I could go out on date night.  There was a movie we were keen to see, and I rather fancied dinner at Capitol again.  Capitol was as good as ever.  I had pea and ham risotto and it was scrumptious.  Followed by their signature soft centered chocolate pudding.  Yum!

Back home to bed and up early to collect Toby from town where Isaac was off to Hebrew school lessons.  Back home and Mike found all sorts of excuses not to go to work.  He gardened and did all sorts of things.  Eventually he went to work, only to come back when the people collected the firewood.

I read a lot of the day, punctuated by housework.  And some some inexplicable urge to make banana cake.  I don't bake very often.  I accidentally left out baking powder when I put the cake in the oven. I figured it was important so I fished the cake out, sprinkled baking powder over and folded in. Noted the sides were already starting to cook.  Maybe this was too late to add the baking powder?  Oh well, in it went. Burned my fingers handling the tin. When I put it back in I nearly spilled the whole runny lot over the front of the oven. Grabbed the tin with my fingers to catch it.  Bit hot.


I don't actually own cake tins as such. I have silicon tins. Which aren't tins at all. And because I only use them every five years or so, putting something that feels like rubber into a hot oven feels wrong. Like it will melt.  Silicon means wobbly. Hence the cake tin almost throwing the cake mixture out when I only put half back on the hot oven shelf.  I don't have a lot of hope for this cake. Mike is going to try it today. The anticipation is likely to be far more delicious than the cake.

Yep. This is why I don't bake. Perhaps I need affirmation every five years or so.  



Cake cooking nicely

It looks ok



I got up early for my run this morning.  Lovely morning for it.  Venus looked stunning.

Have a wonderful week.  We're off to hear a chap talk about building the robots that landed on Mars.  Curiosity.  6.30pm tonight at Shed 6.  Free.  Should be quite good!  Right after my dental appointment.

Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment